Quote Originally Posted by Sgibbar View Post
I have seen a few 6004’s through pony club (low use, carefully used) with loose pins, oval pin holes that just suggest that the frame metal is just not as good, the triggers are also just not as good. So these 5-6 year old guns are already showing signs of wear whereas 40year old 604’s generally just need a £6 set of seals if not working and maybe a coat of paint if badly worn. The old 604’s definitely had more hand finishing on the internals. Where there are breakages on the 604’s it’s usually the top cover where it sweeps up over the grip and that is usually as a result of being dropped.
Your observations would tend to suggest (to me at least) that the soft alloy that failed to retain a 3mm sight adjusting screw in the new 6004 that IJ had problems with was not limited to this particular area of the air pistol?

If a softer alloy has also been used in the main body of the 6004, it would help to explain why the "low milage" 6004 air pistols had "loose pins in oval holes" as they had simply worn away the soft alloy that was used to retain them.

40 year old 604 air pistols will probably have had a lot more use than the pony club 6004 air pistols that you mention here and many may well not have had such careful use either - but they are not known for having sloppy pins in oval pin holes - probably because the alloy used to cast the parts from was harder?

Let's hope the manufacturers of the 6004 air pistol are now using a harder alloy that will resist wear better as well are correcting any other defects that have contributed (over a fairly lengthy period of time) to give this fine looking air pistol such a poor reputation.

I have always said that I really like this neat looking and nicely finished air pistol, and if I could be certain that the manufacturer has corrected its well know and well documented faults, I would still most certainly like to buy a new one. I would actually be surprised if they had not taken any notice (if they want to stay in business) !