Thread: Fas 6004 v 604

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Fas 6004 v 604

I keep reading that the original mark 2 604 is the superior pistol compared to the latest 6004.
    Having owned a 604 back in the day before it got nicked, and comparing it to my current 6004 I'm just not seeing it.
    Could someone please elaborate on the differences.
    Thanks.

I had a 6004 two days before it broke. (the back sight). I took it back to the suppliers and got a refund.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Hi Ian, did did they fix the fault on later guns ?

I have seen a few 6004’s through pony club (low use, carefully used) with loose pins, oval pin holes that just suggest that the frame metal is just not as good, the triggers are also just not as good. So these 5-6 year old guns are already showing signs of wear whereas 40year old 604’s generally just need a £6 set of seals if not working and maybe a coat of paint if badly worn. The old 604’s definitely had more hand finishing on the internals. Where there are breakages on the 604’s it’s usually the top cover where it sweeps up over the grip and that is usually as a result of being dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgibbar View Post
    I have seen a few 6004’s through pony club (low use, carefully used) with loose pins, oval pin holes that just suggest that the frame metal is just not as good, the triggers are also just not as good. So these 5-6 year old guns are already showing signs of wear whereas 40year old 604’s generally just need a £6 set of seals if not working and maybe a coat of paint if badly worn. The old 604’s definitely had more hand finishing on the internals. Where there are breakages on the 604’s it’s usually the top cover where it sweeps up over the grip and that is usually as a result of being dropped.
    Your observations would tend to suggest (to me at least) that the soft alloy that failed to retain a 3mm sight adjusting screw in the new 6004 that IJ had problems with was not limited to this particular area of the air pistol?

If a softer alloy has also been used in the main body of the 6004, it would help to explain why the "low milage" 6004 air pistols had "loose pins in oval holes" as they had simply worn away the soft alloy that was used to retain them.

40 year old 604 air pistols will probably have had a lot more use than the pony club 6004 air pistols that you mention here and many may well not have had such careful use either - but they are not known for having sloppy pins in oval pin holes - probably because the alloy used to cast the parts from was harder?

Let's hope the manufacturers of the 6004 air pistol are now using a harder alloy that will resist wear better as well are correcting any other defects that have contributed (over a fairly lengthy period of time) to give this fine looking air pistol such a poor reputation.

I have always said that I really like this neat looking and nicely finished air pistol, and if I could be certain that the manufacturer has corrected its well know and well documented faults, I would still most certainly like to buy a new one. I would actually be surprised if they had not taken any notice (if they want to stay in business) !
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by mikehill View Post
    Hi Ian, did did they fix the fault on later guns ?
    I dont know. Mine was one of the early ones. I had waited weeks for them to arrive. What a disappointment.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Never used a 604, but had shocking experience with a 6004, poor consistency, pellet fussy, poor build quality, replaced it with a Gamo Compact which after spending about £5 on some files, wet&dry and some time to fettle trigger was everything the 6004 should have been for 1/3 of the price

Sorry but I believe I'm reading a lot of BS on this thread.
    Human nature I guess but it's wrong to judge in the context of a few isolated incidents.
    I bought a new Ford Focus some years ago which spent more time in the garage than it did on the road in its first six months.
    So all Ford Focus's are bad then.
    I mean that's the logic being applied here.
    As for components on earlier models being hand finished, what a crock.
    Please evidence that stupid claim.
    BS of course.
    The 6004 is made by the same company using the same parts and tooling.
    I challenge anyone here to strip a 604 and 6004, put the components side by side and illustrate the differences.
    Won't happen or course because the people spouting this ill informed nonsense are I believe just making stuff up.
    Feel free to prove me wrong.