Quote Originally Posted by brucieboy View Post
I didn't buy it new and as it needed a new over-lever, the availability, if any, of which and cost would be prohibitive I imagine would be near what I paid for it. Looking online I've seen examples of the over-lever cracking with cocking
I'd lost confidence in it so it had to go. When you think they actually cost half as much as the old 604 allowing for inflation I suppose you shouldn't really expect them to be as good, but then again you don't expect them to be so fragile either. I did like the look of it and how it handled though,
It needs an improved alloy for the over-lever, thicker bolts for fastenings and a closer inspection of the finished article for fit and finish. Many won't even sight in for 10 metres, they shoot high, the elevation screw springs get coil bound. A change of springs cures it but it shouldn't be like that.
Thanks Brucie,

That answers all my questions, and your final summary of what you think could be improved can be backed-up by the comments of many others, although I had not heard about the over-lever cracking before - but to be honest I had stopped looking as I was hoping for a mk2 to arrive with all the problems addressed by now.

You make a good valid point about the price though, if it works out to be anywhere near being only half the price of the original 604 (allowing for inflation) it is a remarkable product for the money. The anatomical grip in particular is a belter. The one I borrowed fitted me a treat, and like you I too liked the look and the feel of the pistol......and is why I would still like to own one!

There must be room for Chiappa to fix the weak areas and charge a higher price so we end up with pistol that is as durable as the old 604 (maybe better if the barrel casing does not crack like some of the 604 pistols did when they were dropped) and it is certainly better looking (IMHO).

Stay safe!