Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which scope for Ace?

Which scope for Ace?

Hi,

My Sharp Ace wears a 4x40 Kassnar at the moment.
    A good scope, but this powerful gun would be better with higher magnification, and parallax adjustment.
    Any advice for vintage (eighties) options?
    Otherwise I might go for a simple but effective Nikko Stirling Mountmaster 3-9x40 AO. But it would be nice to stay in eighties spheres

Cheers, Louis

10.9 ft/lbs on 4 pumps (15.89 gr JSB). It's my most powerful pumper, and the easiest to pump too. I hold the scope whilst pumping, with the butt on my thigh, which seems to work well.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Kassnar 3-9x40 PA. I have one I used on my FWB sport. I think you need a period scope - gloss black, of course
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Kassnar 3-9x40 PA. I have one I used on my FWB sport. I think you need a period scope - gloss black, of course
    Wow that sounds super nice! If you ever decide to ... etc etc

Cheers, Louis

Tasco 2-7x32AG although its not gloss. Either that or a Tasco 2-6x20FM as they are gloss and p'x in feet.

Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Nice Ace Louis,

IMHO gloss black isn’t the right look for this rifle.

The Ace was introduced to the UK as Tasco moved to the AG range, so for me it would be an AG or an FM, the best being the 2-7x32 which is a great scope in either range.

The 611vfm or the 626v would be perfect for a Victory.

Just my opinion, hope it helps,

Richard

Thank you very much for your advice gents.

@I.J., those are good options. However I think the Ace looks better with a 40 or even bigger objective?

@RustyBuzz, that's interesting info. I have often seen Optima Moonlighters on Ace's in eighties AGW magazines.

I might go for something modern first, with mildots, to find out about the gun's potential. The trigger is probably the limiting factor:
    not too creepy (I have set it up as well as possible), but quite heavy. The Victory's trigger is much much better, but that gun is so hard to pump.

Cheers, Louis

Have a look through your old AGW magazines and see if you can find a picture of the Rhino 4X32 turretless scope -- just a nice smooth tube, no turrets to get in the way when you're holding the gun for pumping.

Thank you for the tip Allan! I had never heard of turretless scopes. Will have a look in my eighties AGW's.

However I think I will be putting a more modern scope on the Ace, to see how good it is.
    AO, mildots, x12 magnification. It won't look right, but it will be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post
    Thank you for the tip Allan! I had never heard of turretless scopes. Will have a look in my eighties AGW's.

However I think I will be putting a more modern scope on the Ace, to see how good it is.
    AO, mildots, x12 magnification. It won't look right, but it will be interesting.
    The shooter not the collector wins out! No! A vintage rifle needs period accessories. You need to go back in time and shoot as those in the day would? First it has to be gloss. I recently purchase a 1986 Air Arms rifle that came with a period scope. (I think was one of the few Bushnell scopes made for a air rifle in the 1980’s) I believe this was a package offered by the US importer at the time. It just looks right? And no towering rings for a large objective? Then you really need a new stock or cheek rest?

You will, of course, need the special Ace one piece mount.

Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

That's a lovely little Tasco 2-6X20. I think a Beeman Blue Ribbon might be nice, because its rubber coated it gives you good grip when pumping it up.

You do need a high mount to load the pellet? How do you get your eye to the level of the scope with the low stock?

Louis - didn’t you post an old Japanese-language Sharp ad from the 80s on here a while ago showing them wearing what looked like Kassnars?

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    The shooter not the collector wins out! No! A vintage rifle needs period accessories. You need to go back in time and shoot as those in the day would? First it has to be gloss. I recently purchase a 1986 Air Arms rifle that came with a period scope. (I think was one of the few Bushnell scopes made for a air rifle in the 1980’s) I believe this was a package offered by the US importer at the time. It just looks right? And no towering rings for a large objective? Then you really need a new stock or cheek rest?]
    I definitely stand to be corrected, but I think the 80s Sportviews were actually a value-priced big game/.22LR scope that airgunners adopted because of a combination of OK quality, affordable price, and features.

Most of the 80s airgun scopes were re-purposed CF/RF ones. Even the little Beeman SS1 and SS2s. The latter in particular were popular with the appropriate carry handle mount as an AR15 scope.

The only one I can think of that might have been deliberately spec’d for air guns was the Tasco AG (AG being the give-away). Though I can’t rule out that the AG thing was clever marketing of something not originally aimed at the airgun user.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I definitely stand to be corrected, but I think the 80s Sportviews were actually a value-priced big game/.22LR scope that airgunners adopted because of a combination of OK quality, affordable price, and features.

Most of the 80s airgun scopes were re-purposed CF/RF ones. Even the little Beeman SS1 and SS2s. The latter in particular were popular with the appropriate carry handle mount as an AR15 scope.

The only one I can think of that might have been deliberately spec’d for air guns was the Tasco AG (AG being the give-away). Though I can’t rule out that the AG thing was clever marketing of something not originally aimed at the airgun user.
    You are correct I suffered from believing everything I read on the internet! I am reading now that they were chosen for air rifles because their objective focuses down to 7.5 yards (marked on mine). Not often found in the US on an economical scope? The Great Lakes Airgun shop importer of my rifle used them as a option in the 1980’s on their Air Arms rifles.