Thread: H and N Silhouettes Return?

H and N Silhouettes Return?

I just got a couple of tins of H and N Field Target (not trophys) They look remarkably like the old Silhouettes but with a smooth, longer skirt. Are they new?

The H&N Field target has been around a while, I bought a tin of them with a green label about 20 years ago. That was a .22, I have since tried them in .177 and .25 too.
    Never as accurate as the FTT in my guns.

Did the old ones have a step around the nose like a silhouette (or a Bisley superfield without the hollow point)?

Yes, like these:
    https://shop.luftvapen.se/ammunition...ield-target-22

They came in large 500 pcs tins, but seems to be the same pellet.

Thanks for that. Those are the ones I have. It makes me wonder why they bothered with the silhouettes.

Havent used them in a while, but seem to remember they can shoot quite well in some guns, but never found them to be the best pellet in any gun.
    The .22 pellets I bought back about 20 years ago were shot in dads BSA Lightning, and I remember shooting an excellent group at quite long range, probably around 40+ meters... there are two houses where I used to shoot now, so cant measure the range accurately anymore. And they would probably call the cops if I started shooting there now..

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beard View Post
    I just got a couple of tins of H and N Field Target (not trophys) They look remarkably like the old Silhouettes but with a smooth, longer skirt. Are they new?
    No not new, in fact they are no longer made.

Heres a couple pictures of tins for the .177 and .25 versions, plus a picture of a .25 pellet. These were probably bought somewhere between 2005 ans 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    No not new, in fact they are no longer made.
    The ones I got are in the new screw top tins and looked recent. They might have done another run.

The Silhouettes I knew of (and used) back in the eighties were in .177 and around the 9.5 grains mark. Following glowing praise from the likes of Jim Tyler and Dave Welham many tried them and found them to be excellent, as did I. Fast forward a good few years and this pellet lives on in spirit, the 9.57 grains Baracuda FT and Baracuda Light. I was introduced to them at the tail end of trials by bigtoe at a Boinger Bash and bought some as soon as they became available after being given some to try by Sportsmatch on the BBS. Superb in a good few of my HW springers. Accurate and seemingly very good in the breeze. Recommended.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I thought H&N had slipped them back into their range of pellets as plain Field target, so be careful what you buy.

H&N Field target = Silhouettes

H&N Field target trophy = The classic smooth finish pre lubed pellet
    Hw77+7

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beard View Post
    The ones I got are in the new screw top tins and looked recent. They might have done another run.
    Hope so, the .20 were awesome in my MFR, 12.2gn iirc.
    What supplier ? might be worth emailing them to ask if they're new or new old stock
    Last edited by angrybear; 10-04-2021 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Hope so, the .20 were awesome in my MFR, 12.2gn iirc.
    What supplier ? might be worth emailing them to ask if they're new or new old stock
    Wishful thinking but it would be good if H&N did limited runs of .20 pellets

I would stock up on Hollow point semi wad cutters

Beeman silver bears
    Hw77+7

I bought them from Sundon Model Shop. They came out cheapest when I was after JSB RS Jumbos.

I used the silhouette pellets in a Theoben sirocco classic and they were superb as a hunting pellet and also for FT shooting. Wish I had never sold the Theoben it was a good one.