Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone like flip up breech underlevers

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

Anyone like flip up breech underlevers

Are the long transfer ports worth the safety and can they be made to shoot really nice? and was there only two manufacture's of flip up's. Are there any opinions on these actions

I believe you are right on u/ls.

They both are derivatives of the mid-70s Walther LGR 10M match SSP, the first rifle to rival the FWB300S. Much of that was down to the SSP system, but clearly the flip-tap did not in any way impede high accuracy. Unlike mass-produced rotary taps, which did.

I like well-done tap-loaders and flip breeches. Even 57-style pop-ups. They are convenient, and very safe.

Unfortunately, they fall badly between two stools.

For the mass market, especially unrestricted in power, the sliding breech/comp tube shoots faster and harder. For the connoisseur, including in restricted markets, the sliding breech shoots nicer at a given power level. Which explains their demise.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I believe you are right on u/ls.

They both are derivatives of the mid-70s Walther LGR 10M match SSP, the first rifle to rival the FWB300S. Much of that was down to the SSP system, but clearly the flip-tap did not in any way impede high accuracy. Unlike mass-produced rotary taps, which did.

I like well-done tap-loaders and flip breeches. Even 57-style pop-ups. They are convenient, and very safe.

Unfortunately, they fall badly between two stools.

For the mass market, especially unrestricted in power, the sliding breech/comp tube shoots faster and harder. For the connoisseur, including in restricted markets, the sliding breech shoots nicer at a given power level. Which explains their demise.
    I like sliding compression tubes and direct loading into the breech, very efficient, but I must admit the thought of a potential mishap and squashed fingertips gives me the creeps whenever I load these type of airguns.
    At reduced power levels, the flip up type can be very good IF designed well in the alignment area. Otherwise they clip the pellet and accuracy suffers. At higher power levels there is too much lost volume which makes it harder to use stronger springs without becoming too slammy.

Hang on to your levers and barrels !
    Last edited by dvd; 11-04-2021 at 06:17 AM.

I'm a fan of the flip up type. Obvious issues are TP length and scope height/length.
    TP length isn't the end of the world. There are some break barrels with quite long ones which can shoot nicely. Scope interference is the bigger issue.

I am designing a fixed barrel version of my recoiless springer and am wanting to use a flip up breech. Potentially looking at 'flip sideways' as an option to avoid the scope issue.

I have no experience of the Webley but I've got a .177 and .22 Diana 46 and both shoot very well. The .177 is at UK power but the .22 was one of the last on the shelf out in SWS and is still at German power.
    Nice accurate guns and I've had no issue with clipping of the pellet on either.

Dave

Aren’t all break barrels, flip-ups?

I've never owned a flip-up breech rifle. Nothing against them and I'd certainly be more than willing to give one a home. Nothing to add in technical terms other than it's a safety & convenience vs efficiency thing and, as mentioned above, if the desired power can be achieved whilst maintaining pleasant shooting characteristics, I can't see anything not to like, really.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

The one problem with them is due to the long length of the transfer this absorbs power.
    .22 Venom Mach 1 (FAC) 6-25x56 Millett.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Thumbhole 6.5-20x40 Leupold EFR.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Sporter 4-12x40 Leupold.
    .177 Venom Vantage 4-16x50.
    .177 Venom Daystate 8-32x56 AGS.
    .22 Venom Datstate 4-16x56 AGS.
    .22 Webley Venom FX2000 6-18x40 Busnel Legend.
    .177 Titan MPT by Steve Pope 6-24x40 Tasco.
    .177 Pro-Sport 4-16x50.
    .22 Webley FX2000 3-9x33 Leupold EFR.
    .177 Logan Solo 4-16x50.
    .22 HW90 (spring powered) 4-16x50
    .22 Gamo Stutzen.
    .177 Walther lever action.

Quote Originally Posted by dvd View Post
    At reduced power levels, the flip up type can be very good IF designed well in the alignment area. Otherwise they clip the pellet and accuracy suffers.
    You might be getting these confused with tap loaders. In a flip up breech, the pellet is still loaded directly into the barrel. The "flip up" part is just an extension of the transfer port, the pellet doesn't travel through it so misalignment and pellet clipping isn't a consideration.

Cheers
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    I'm a fan of the flip up type. Obvious issues are TP length and scope height/length.
    TP length isn't the end of the world. There are some break barrels with quite long ones which can shoot nicely. Scope interference is the bigger issue.

I am designing a fixed barrel version of my recoiless springer and am wanting to use a flip up breech. Potentially looking at 'flip sideways' as an option to avoid the scope issue.
    The flip up breech has merit Dan and is a very safe way to load an U/L but beware that the long transfer port will take more spring to make up for the lost volume at the loading port.

Atb

John
    Hw77+7

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    You might be getting these confused with tap loaders. In a flip up breech, the pellet is still loaded directly into the barrel. The "flip up" part is just an extension of the transfer port, the pellet doesn't travel through it so misalignment and pellet clipping isn't a consideration.

Cheers
    Greg
    Yes you are absolutely right, what I wrote does not apply to flip up breeches.
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by HW55T View Post
    The flip up breech has merit Dan and is a very safe way to load an U/L but beware that the long transfer port will take more spring to make up for the lost volume at the loading port.

Atb

John
    Agreed. Fortunately as it will be recoilless, a bit of extra spring doesn't really matter. Cocking will be a tiny be harder but doubt many people could tell without measuring it.

Best made flip up I have used wasn't on an underlever but on the battery cranked Browning Airstar. Not so much a flip up breech, more of a flip up cover. When raised it revealed a slot for the pellet to be dropped into and sealed the slot when closed
    Last edited by ken69; 11-04-2021 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    What about a shorter rotary breach like the Airsporter
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Quote Originally Posted by MartynB View Post
    What about a shorter rotary breach like the Airsporter
    Would have a similar issue with scope length, in that the scope or sunshade could not go over the top, or you wouldn't be able to get pellets in. I guess a side loading rotary would work.

Still playing with ideas. Part of me just wants to be different, but if it compromises performance I'll settle for tried and tested