Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone like flip up breech underlevers

What about a cross feeding mag like a Steyr hunting 5 thingy?
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I do like the Webley Eclipse...what are they like to shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    I personally really like the Eclipse. The aluminium cylinder was an innovation and I don’t think it quite gets the recognition that it’s due for just how bold it was to go for that design on a spring gun. It is noticeably lighter that anything else of the same class when you pick it up, and the black anodised finish was as good as Webley’s blued steel.

Anyway, on to your question. I think they shoot very well. Nicely balanced, decent trigger, and smooth enough firing cycle.

Two things ruined these rifles; fitting heavier springs which elongated the cross pin holes in the cylinder, and people overtightening scope mounts, which chewed up the dovetails.

If you can find an unabused one go for it 👍

Cheers
    Greg

I am pretty sure I had a Hatsan with a flip up breach? It was a long time ago though and I may well be wrong... Also had the Webley which was fun

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Got a .177 Eclipse a couple of years back in near mint condition, its a Mk 1 model, took it out to shoot a few days back and was reminded how well it shoots, well balanced nice trigger and smooth cycle plus full power, bit fiddly loading in .177 but otherwise a nice rifle

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Got a .177 Eclipse a couple of years back in near mint condition, its a Mk 1 model, took it out to shoot a few days back and was reminded how well it shoots, well balanced nice trigger and smooth cycle plus full power, bit fiddly loading in .177 but otherwise a nice rifle
    Lucky you, it was the .177 that appealed - most seem to be .22

I have a Norica Quick bought because of its novelty. This has a flip up breech of around 35mm long so plenty of room to load a pellet. A write up i did of it.. https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/thea...ick-t1252.html
    TX200 Mk2. 5.0mm cal. TX200 Mk3. 6.35mm cal. Hw 99s 5.0mm cal. Hw57 5.5mm cal, re engineered pop up breech removed, 22mm piston bore. Lots of others. TAGS member also..

Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    I am pretty sure I had a Hatsan with a flip up breach? It was a long time ago though and I may well be wrong.
    Would make perfect sense with the Webley / Hatsan tie-up.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

The hatsan torpedo uses a clever sliding barrel arrangement

https://images.airgundepot.com/ay/ai...-vortex-36.gif

Very safe to use AND no need for a long transfer port

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by brassbanjo View Post

I sort of like it
    But it's not a fixed barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by ken69 View Post
    Best made flip up I have used wasn't on an underlever but on the battery cranked Browning Airstar. Not so much a flip up breech, more of a flip up cover. When raised it revealed a slot for the pellet to be dropped into and sealed the slot when closed
    I got my airstar out to have another look at it. It's nicely made but has some issues. The pellet drops into the transfer port just behind the barrel, so the TP is a very big diameter. And there is no control over the starting position of the pellet (as the slot is quite long).
    Apart from the novelty, I can't remember mine being very nice to shoot. Maybe I'll charge it up to remind myself

Novel.

Looks a potential accuracy nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Novel.

Looks a potential accuracy nightmare.
    Not sure why you would think that - it is simply a barrel sliding within the fixed outer sleeve
    any decent lathe could do a good job

remember there is no great force on the barrel as with a break barrel

Not sure why you would think that - it is simply a barrel sliding within the fixed outer sleeve
    any decent lathe could do a good job

remember there is no great force on the barrel as with a break barrel
    You may be right.

I’d suggest the difference is that a break barrel (assuming good breech-bolting) will tend, if it does give issues, to give issues in only the vertical plane, and any POI movement will usually occur progressively over long use and is easily compensated for.

Whereas a slidey thing could misalign in any direction.

Could be wrong. Just the slidey thing feels novel and maybe not a great idea.

I think that Hatsan (or whoever thought or invented this solution) had a very good idea.
    The possible accuracy issues can be easily solved by controled quality of manufacture of the various parts - for example if this system was made by Feinwerkbau or Anschutz the tolerances between parts would be much- much better.
    The system can be developed in a way that it could allow easy and fast barrel interchangeability (swap the 0.177" barrel with a 0.22" one or a 0.20" in minutes - without the neccesity of special tools).
    It could also be made in a free floating design allowing maximum potential in accuracy.
    A clever designer could also add a simple mechanism for adjusting the point of impact on target so the shooter can make scope zeroing much easier (by altering the angle of the barrel inside the sleeve).
    Just some food for thought...