Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New project for 2021. Anyone guess what this is?

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe

New project for 2021. Anyone guess what this is?

I have started a new air pistol build project this year, and this time I have opted to make a copy of something antique, mechanically exceptional, and extremely rare. A generous collector has provided me with detailed pictures, inside and out, of his original example, so I hope to be able to make a reasonably close copy to add to my collection. Those of you who know my efforts will not be surprised to hear that it is springer – so apologies to all the pneumatic enthusiasts.

This is one phase of the project successfully completed. Can anyone guess what the item is and what the gun in question might be?

Is it the boiler for a steam powered Hopfenfluffer repeater ?

Quote Originally Posted by Farsight View Post
    Is it the boiler for a steam powered Hopfenfluffer repeater ?
    Close, but not close enough.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    A old gallery pistol of some type.

Is it a Wirsing?

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Is it a giffard of some Description?
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Is it a giffard of some Description?
    Ah, you missed the clue in the opener Rich
    Says it is a springer

Well I think Micky2 and Danny have worked out correctly that this is the brass air cylinder of a gallery pistol of some sort. The spring firing mechanism of the pistol is very unusual though, perhaps even unique, so the Wirsing is out (although I must admit I wouldn’t mind having a go at one some time!).

If you look hard enough, you can find the pistol in Danny’s Gallery.

The cylinder was made from brass tubing, with the end plug turned down from solid brass round bar:

The side arm, which is just a threaded section for securing the cylinder in the gun frame, was turned down from brass bar, drilled, threaded and brazed in place. Finally the end plug was permanently soldered in place.

This is the only brass component of the pistol, and the rest of the project is going to be an exercise in steel and walnut (and a bit of leather for the seals).

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Ah, you missed the clue in the opener Rich
    Says it is a springer
    Oh balls, I got all excited about another engineering tour de force, didn't read the whole post before looking at the picture, deciding it was a CO2 valve of some sort and plumped for a Giffard!

I am a silly billy LOL
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Fairly sure this will be a Kuchenreuter copy...? Quite rare and with an unusual cocking arrangement.

Don R.

Quote Originally Posted by draitzer View Post
    Fairly sure this will be a Kuchenreuter copy...? Quite rare and with an unusual cocking arrangement.

Don R.
    You have nailed it Don. Well spotted!

This is the pistol I am trying to replicate (more pictures can be found in the Gallery here: https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....burg/#post-903, and also two other slightly different examples here https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....ann-historica/)

These pistols were made by the famous German gunmaker J.Adam Kuchenreuter in the early 1800’s, and only a handful are known. He was one of the long line of famous Kuchenreuter gunsmiths, and although better known for his superior quality firearms, he did dabble in airguns, including bellows air rifles, and these parlour pistols. He had two sons and five journeymen working for him at one stage, so he may not have made these guns personally. His skills were in great demand, and in 1853 he was appointed as Royal gunsmith to King Maximilian.

The pistol, like all his others, is of outstanding quality, and although it would have been very expensive in its day, its power would have been low and only suited to shooting darts at short range. Presumably this suited attitudes at the time, and it would have been more of a rich man’s toy, used to entertain guests and engage in wagers on long winter evenings. Over short ranges the achievable accuracy would have been excellent.

The mechanism is very unusual, in that the spring used to drive the piston is a V-spring located on the outside of the pistol, in the fashion of the frizzen pan of a flintlock pistol, and the spring is cocked by the hammer, also emulating the action of a fljntlock pistol. The movement of the hammer on firing was then transmitted to the piston by an offset link. Because of the limited mechanical advantage , the spring needed to be relatively weak, hence the low power. Although the piston travel is quite short (about 4 cm), the swept volume (about 28 cc) is still reasonable, thanks to the relatively large cylinder diameter. The swept volume is actually larger than that of the original Webley Mark 1 pistol (about 22 cc).

Other features of the pistol include a single set trigger, which can be set to hair trigger sensitivity if desired, and a sliding barrel for loading. (Some Kucheneuter pistols use an alternative “slide and tip” loading principle.)

The pistol is extremely ornate and every external metal surface, including screwheads, has been engraved, so trying to duplicate this is going to be a challenge. The walnut stock is finely fluted.

I have made pretty good progress on the mechanical aspects of the gun so far, and I have actually been able to fire a dart through the barrel of the repro’ pistol in anger, but there is still a long way to go before the gun is finished. I will put together an account when things are more nearly complete.

The more I work on old guns like these, the more I come to admire how these early gunsmiths were able to produce such fine weapons without the benefits of power tools, instantly replaceable tooling, etc, that we all now take for granted.
    Last edited by ccdjg; 13-04-2021 at 07:57 AM.

Well spotted, Don!

How exciting. One hell of a challenge!

It'll give you a chance to practice your scrollwork engraving, John.

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post

It'll give you a chance to practice your scrollwork engraving, John.

I know my limitations Danny, so no scrollwork engraving for me. I am going to experiment and let chemistry do the work. If that fails, it will end up with plain rust-blued finish!

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    What a great looking pistol, and such a clever spring power design, you would never think it was a airgun. really looking forward to seeing the finished pistol. good luck with the project.

Well it took a while, but I managed to get there in the end. The lower pistol is the copy.

I think the hardest part was the "engraving", actually, etching. A lot of trial and error and chemical experimentation! Not perfect by any means, and it would never match the work of a skilled engraver, but it looks OK at first glance.

It shoots fine, as Matt, our own PT Dunk can testify. A video of same made by Matt will soon be available.

I could cobble together some sort of account of how it was made if it would be of any interest.

Cheers,

John