Thread: Stock referb

Stock referb

Any ideas on the best way to remove hydro dip finish from a rifle stock ?
    Air Arms HFT 500. HW100 FSB. HW99 (.22) HW99 (.177) HW30 (.177) HW97K (.177) Gamo GX40 (.22)

Hi have you tried what i do when removing old finishes , i get my cabinet scrapper out make sure it is a good quality and just try it on a small area , i find i scrap the finish off then steam out any dents or bumps and then use a ultra fine sandpaper to rub over , i then wash and clean it then another light rub then sanding sealer if needed then to the finish i want .

Just remember go easy no coarse snadpaper yo will knock far to much wood off , also remember you may need to re-size the butt pad a little i had a gun someone re-finished and the pad was very big they had done the sand it sand it get the colour out , i just took the butt pad off and re-sized .

Slow and steady wins the race

Thanks for that 👍
    Air Arms HFT 500. HW100 FSB. HW99 (.22) HW99 (.177) HW30 (.177) HW97K (.177) Gamo GX40 (.22)

Hi just remember to go with the grain not across the grain and again go easy you can use just a stanley knife blde held at an angle to scrap with but i prefer a cabinet scrapper i have done it with a knife blade once just to prove it can be done but the blade hurts your hand gripping it tight .

You an get a good beginner set of cabinet scrappers on the bay and they are easy to re-sharpern just you tube that

Remember if it was done properly under the dip it would have been stripped & painted with a primer,
    I'm not sure you will be able to take it back for a polished wood finish.

Out of curiosity , is the hydrodip damaged?
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

No real damage but faded in places. I'm not a fan of this kind of "false " finish so I've got to give it a try.