Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best oil to refresh walnuts stocks

Best oil to refresh walnuts stocks

Hi all. Looking for recommendations for the best oil to use to refresh MY HW 100 stock.
    The stock is actually brand-new but looks slightly dry.
    many thanks. Dave.

I have found Phillips English Walnut Oil gives a very nice finish and is readily available. I put a drop palm side of my hand at the base of my thumb and rub it in so the wood becomes warm. Don’t overdo it, a couple of drops goes a long way
    Last edited by ken69; 17-04-2021 at 09:01 AM.

If you want the stock glossy then use linseed oil or if you want it slightly more matte use Danish oil. As already said though use it sparingly less is more. Hope that helps mate 👍

I have used Slippery Dicks Gun Stock Wax Walnut. Used sparingly, rubbed in with finger, left to dry and buffed with cloth. Gets more glossy with numerous applications, but, never full gloss. I am happy with it.

By the way, it is not available in a Sex Shop - they will try to sell you something that is not suitable for the wood.

All the best.....

I use liberon finishing oil. First coat applied with fine wire wool, wiping off as much as you can after application.
    Final coat of wax polish if you want it to shine.
    Don't oil the checkering.

If you want glossy, use boiled linseed oil, takes about a month to six weeks.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

i remember a few years back about some using supermarket walnut oil. Might be worth a try.

The slippery dicks finishing oil and stock wax is very good. He has afew youtube videos.

I watched a video on you tube yesterday showing stock refurb using Tru oil.Turned out well.
    the Bolton wanderer who wandered to London [lost at the time]

Quote Originally Posted by kev.f View Post
    I watched a video on you tube yesterday showing stock refurb using Tru oil.Turned out well.
    Tru Oil gives an excellent finish if not over applied. It doesn’t seem to have a long shelf life once the bottle’s been opened though

I find Danish oil and CCL are very good.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

ive used supermarket walnut oil rubbed in well with your hands its ok

Quote Originally Posted by where's it gone View Post
    i remember a few years back about some using supermarket walnut oil. Might be worth a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by rapidresponse1 View Post
    ive used supermarket walnut oil rubbed in well with your hands its ok
    Why not just nip down the local fishy-chinkys--Indians get some used oil off then it will smell canny -------just go and buy some proper gun stock oil like Philips -etc --why risk any damage or spoiling to your pride and joy with cheaper oils is beyond me

I used some left over Osmo oil once, superb finish.
    VAYA CON DIOS

Quote Originally Posted by bu dave View Post
    Hi all. Looking for recommendations for the best oil to use to refresh MY HW 100 stock.
    The stock is actually brand-new but looks slightly dry.
    many thanks. Dave.
    To be honest I am not sure if it will do much. The reason I say that is Weihrauch coat all there Walnut stocks in a brown gunge substance which I believe is to make all the stocks looks similar. Not honestly sure if it seals the wood.

I have stripped 6 down recently and each one has been incredibly different, from very dark to very light.
    I would personally sand it all off and you may just be amazed at what lays underneath. The last stock I did looked very normal. Once sanded it has revealed some beautiful markings.

It it's to light I would put a coat or 2 of Red Alkanet oil. Then when you have the desired colour I would use CCL oil.
    If it's staying the colour you like then just use English Walnut oil.

Ade
    Shooting Air Rifles is like being a pubic hair on a toilet seat.
    Eventually someone comes a long and P's you off.
    They usually have a PCP

Quote Originally Posted by ken69 View Post
    Tru Oil gives an excellent finish if not over applied. It doesn’t seem to have a long shelf life once the bottle’s been opened though
    Well i had one bottle stored upside down with cling film over for over 3 years yes once i took the cap off and the cling film there was a skin on the bottle top but if you when you first open just poke a small hole with a cocktail stick the bottle can last years , i would say longer if kept in a cooler place to .
    Tru oil you have to go very light with or you will have runs better than a cricket team