Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it really that bad? To hold scope whilst pumping Innova

Welcome to airgunbbs Byronic. Which scope did you opt for on your Innova?

Quote Originally Posted by Byronic View Post
    I make no claim to being an expert but.......

Does holding the scope transfer the load to the plastic body via the scope mounts?
    Seems likely to me.
    If so, then I would be very wary.
    I have a scope on one of my Innovas and avoid using it in this manner.
    Although I don't generally give them a lot of pumps so the load is quite limited.

In the user manual for the Innova it shows the gun being pumped by bridging the scope with your fingers and holding the ridged sloping area on the top of the receiver (that's what the ridges are for) and the pump should be held with your hand wrapped around the wooden handle, don't slam the handle into the pump tube when you close it.

The received wisdom says don’t do it because it is bad.

The experience of many says it’s fine.

It’s a bit like the 70s/80s discussions about using the scope as a carrying handle. Received wisdom: bad. Actual evidence of breaking a scope by doing it: not clear.

I’d also note that plastics can become brittle over time, and Innovas are not getting any younger.

And all scopes are precision optical instruments and deserve respect and, within reason, cosseting. Maybe less of an issue with a mil-spec ACOG, but definitely a valid concern with a typical airgun scope on tip-off mounts on an 11mm dovetail.

My own take on pumping pumpers, scoped or not, beyond very light charging (say 1-3 pumps on a typical 8-10 pump max rifle), which avoids this issue is as follows:

- sit down or take a knee; assuming right-handed, left knee up, right down;

- assuming right handed, hold the top end of the barrel/pump tube assembly in your left hand, with the top of the rifle facing left and the bottom facing right;

- place the top of the butt into the left instep; if sitting, close the right instep on it to secure it firmly (though by no means essential);

- pump away to your heart’s content with the right hand.

Almost any bit of gun administration that is fiddly, annoying etc when standing or prone becomes easy and convenient when you kneel or sit down.

Way back when pumping, using the one piece Sportsmatch mount, I would ensure I bridged the forward ring so that pressure wasn't put on the scope body or turrets, never had an issue myself
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Very interesting replies, many thanks.

I think Geezer sums it up nicely. Received wisdom vs. actual evidence.

My conclusion is that I will hold the scope whilst pumping.

A) Because I'm putting 4 to 5 pumps in, which means light force
    B) Because I'm using a dedicated one piece Sportsmatch Innova/Ace mount
    C) Because I find it so much more convenient. It makes a shooting session with the Innova more enjoyable. And that's an important factor to me.

Ps. My friend Steven imported a lot of "Innova" parts from Indonesia. He might still have one or two ally breeches. They are of course not genuine Sharp parts. Probably made in China? But apparently they work well.

Im glad you can enjoy using it without the fear of damaging it.

The alloy breeches may require some fine tuning to get them to fit. If your friend Steven has a spare he's willing to sell, PLEASE let me know because I'd buy another Innova!

Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post
    Very interesting replies, many thanks.

I think Geezer sums it up nicely. Received wisdom vs. actual evidence.

My conclusion is that I will hold the scope whilst pumping.

A) Because I'm putting 4 to 5 pumps in, which means light force
    B) Because I'm using a dedicated one piece Sportsmatch Innova/Ace mount
    C) Because I find it so much more convenient. It makes a shooting session with the Innova more enjoyable. And that's an important factor to me.

Ps. My friend Steven imported a lot of "Innova" parts from Indonesia. He might still have one or two ally breeches. They are of course not genuine Sharp parts. Probably made in China? But apparently they work well.

Quote Originally Posted by ratbuster2240 View Post
    Im glad you can enjoy using it without the fear of damaging it.

The alloy breeches may require some fine tuning to get them to fit. If your friend Steven has a spare he's willing to sell, PLEASE let me know because I'd buy another Innova!
    I'm sure Steven has one for sale. I will ask and get back to you asap.

thanks Louis fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post
    I'm sure Steven has one for sale. I will ask and get back to you asap.
    See if he has another Louis, you might want it for when you get your Innova back
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Quote Originally Posted by MartynB View Post
    See if he has another Louis, you might want it for when you get your Innova back
    Haha that would be nice yes! Looking forward to going to Suffolk again asap. Cheers, Louis

Ps. The Innova that I am using most atm is on the top right in this photo. It now wears a Nikko Stirling Mountmaster 3-9x40 AO mildot. Basic, but I like it and I think it doesn't look too period un-correct for the gun.

The gunroom is looking great, you can tell you take pride in your work. The Nikko suits it very well and doesn't look too big.

Quote Originally Posted by ratbuster2240 View Post
    The gunroom is looking great, you can tell you take pride in your work. The Nikko suits it very well and doesn't look too big.
    Nice racks Louis, did you buy or make ?

Thank you James and Martyn. I lack the skills and tools for good wood working; I bought these off the Bay of E. Seller "pac4ever".
    I just checked, he has no listings atm.
    I found his website: https://www.woodtechonline.co.uk/where-we-are-2-w.asp
    The gunracks will need finishing: I used cheap varnish from Poundland, and on the dark one I used Birchwood Casey walnut stain and varnish.

Wow they are great at that price it wouldn't even be worth making one. They are made out of pine rather than MDF.
    Last edited by ratbuster2240; 14-04-2021 at 07:21 PM.

Don't use the pumpers much but find it easier to lay it, lever forward, on right shoulder with action in left hand. Pump with right hand. All forces are on pump tube and very stable platform.