Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is it really that bad? To hold scope whilst pumping Innova

Quote Originally Posted by ratbuster2240 View Post
    Welcome to airgunbbs Byronic. Which scope did you opt for on your Innova?
    Currently a Bushnell 4 x32

Quite a decent little scope but I wonder about going up to a bigger scope or higher mounts, mainly to get some more clearance for loading with my fat, arthritic fingers.
    On the other hand I don't want to end up with my scope eye level too high above the barrel, it feels unnatural to me.
    My other .177 Innova has the original iron sights which I really prefer.

What happened to BBS yesterday?
    I couldn't log on.

A simple fixed power 4x32 is ideal. There was a Finnish sniper Simo Haya in WW2 that refused to use a an optic on his Mauser. He said the reasons were, it made the shooter raise their head to high revealing their position, the glint of the scope, fogging and faster target acquisition with iron sights.

There's nothing wrong with iron sights but with our low power airguns it's nice having the confidence in more accurate shot placement.

Jsramsbottom.com sell the one piece Sportsmatch mount HOP18c with the cutaway design to allow easier loading of the Ace, Innova and some bolt action rifles. It's currently out of stock and might be a special order item.

I'm not sure why the forum was down, it wasn't for long and it rarely happens.

A simple fixed power 4x32 is ideal. There was a Finnish sniper Simo Haya in WW2 that refused to use a an optic on his Mauser. He said the reasons were, it made the shooter raise their head to high revealing their position, the glint of the scope, fogging and faster target acquisition with iron sights.

There's nothing wrong with iron sights but with our low power airguns it's nice having the confidence in more accurate shot placement.

Jsramsbottom.com sell the one piece Sportsmatch mount HOP18c with the cutaway design to allow easier loading of the Ace, Innova and some bolt action rifles. It's currently out of stock and might be a special order item.

I'm not sure why the forum was down, it wasn't for long and it rarely happens.

I only plink at pretty short ranges so open sights are completely adequate for me.

Original rear sights go for £50 ish on and my .22 has been filled or som6where the sight should fit - all smooth and black.

I have seen that one piece mount, thanks, and similar possibly knock off versions?

The scope is kind of OK where it is - and the whole Innova loading system is a bit of a fiddle when compared with my break-barrels.

The HOP18 is a high mount for scopes up to 56mm.

SM also offer the Sharp-specific OP14, for scopes up to 40-44mm.

SM mounts seem to be largely out of stock at many vendors now. I wonder if COVID has affected their production?

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    SM also offer the Sharp-specific OP14, for scopes up to 40-44mm
    Pretty sure that is the one I have, I used to mount a Habicht Nova 4x32 on both Innova's and Ace I had
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

It also has the extra cut away underneath to allow for the curve of the barrel between the Aces scope rails.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

It looks like the medium mount is no longer made.(OP14) doesn't show in the Sportsmatch catalogue. Do you think the (HOP18c) would be too high for the Innova cheek piece?

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    It also has the extra cut away underneath to allow for the curve of the barrel between the Aces scope rails.

It looks like the medium mount is no longer made.(OP14) doesn't show in the Sportsmatch catalogue. Do you think the (HOP18c) would be too high for the Innova cheek piece?
    I would say very likely, it may unbalance the Innova and make it top heavy
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Quote Originally Posted by MartynB View Post
    Agreed. And the cheek weld would be awful.

Thanks I'll stick with low to medium or maybe even a peep.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynB View Post

Cheek weld!
    Thanks, the phrase escaped me.
    Senior moment.
    Non Webley type