Thread: PCP Advice and calibre please.

PCP Advice and calibre please.

Hi Chaps,

I am about to pull the trigger (pun intended) and buy a new PCP air rifle... I think! Pellpax have kits for sale with the Gamo and it seems like a good place to start at £500. Is this a good way into pre charge?

Also as I don't envisage much hunting would .177 be the better calibre?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    Hi Chaps,

I am about to pull the trigger (pun intended) and buy a new PCP air rifle... I think! Pellpax have kits for sale with the Gamo and it seems like a good place to start at £500. Is this a good way into pre charge?

Also as I don't envisage much hunting would .177 be the better calibre?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-Gamo-or-NP-02
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    I'm more of a "get better stuff second hand for the same money" kind of guy, but these packages are pretty good value for what are respectable guns for the money. Yes, you will get better quality form others, but if you want new with a guarantee and something to get you going you can do worse. Throw in the fact they can deliver and your going to struggle tp get a better deal. I personally would sell the hand pump for what you can get for it and buy a second hand 7L dive cylinder and whip for about £120 - pump filling a PCP is hard work, for the difference in money a cylinder makes a massive difference, but it's your call.

Calibre is always a tricky one, but I'd go .177 for most things with the exception of close range ratting which a .22 is devastating at - there is obviously no right or wrong here, just personal preference, but a .177 will most likely be easier to sell in the future as it has a bigger following if you just play the numbers game

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Hey thanks for the replies Chaps-that was quick and theres plenty of reading! Prices seem to vary but delivered to the door is a winner for me. Thanks again for the pointers the rifle will be made in the UK which for some reason is reassuring, if I get on with the pcp (and pumping the thing) it could well be the start of a new airgunning chapter for myself.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    Hey thanks for the replies Chaps-that was quick and theres plenty of reading! Prices seem to vary but delivered to the door is a winner for me. Thanks again for the pointers the rifle will be made in the UK which for some reason is reassuring, if I get on with the pcp (and pumping the thing) it could well be the start of a new airgunning chapter for myself.
    The first couple of fills from a dive cylinder will have you seeing the light
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Haha Jesim I have never done it and I am sure that you are right but my physical fitness could do with a little help!

Operating without any decent restraint - Nottm
    .177 hw100
    1st Battalion Humberside Cavalier Rescue Deserters on the cut

I’ve owned many expensive PCP rifles over the years. I can honestly say, out of all of them the HW 100 Full length in 177 is about as good as it gets, for reliability and accuracy👍. Don’t just take my word for it, try one out.
    you definitely won’t be disappointed. I’ve owned rifles twice the price, and in my opinion, you just can’t beat the HW.
    if only it was a little prettier!

i agree with above

As is the case with most of these type of threads you start of with a £500 budget and end up with £1000+ recomendations A second hand package deal might be a better option. As mentioned, pumps are hard work and most usually get fed up with them in short time. Keep an eye out for BSA Ultra's, Scorpions, Air Arms S200, S400 all well within your budget with room left over for a small dive bottle.

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.