Thread: El Gamo Paratrooper Spring Quest

El Gamo Paratrooper Spring Quest

I've just stripped one of the later Paratroopers as the spring was feeling pretty feeble compared to another one that I have. The existing spring is 19.4/13.3 3.1 30 coils. Its 210mm long but looks quite compressed towards one end.

I bought a Titan XS No.13 for it but its too small. On paper the ID looks to be too tight for the spring guide and the actual item is a little smaller in OD than the published specs. Bit disappointing as its listed for the Paratrooper.

Any other sources for a spring please?

Chambers list one, though I suspect it’s a Titan replacement rather than a Gamo factory item and could well be what you already have.

Protek may help.
    It is possible that a Meteor spring may fit. But will need cutting down a bit.
    Cheers, Phil

I've sorted through my old springs and there's only one that would fit which would appear to be for a pre-war BSA. Unfortunately its thicker wire though so may be a bit harsh.

Actually, the Titan No.6 for the later Meteor looks to be a better bet than the one that's listed for the Paratrooper.

I'll try the BSA one this morning. Horrible design - the Spring Guide is retained by the sear housing with a pinned block behind that so I've had to make a tool to compress the spring but leave enough room to insert the sear housing - hope it works!

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Chambers list one, though I suspect it’s a Titan replacement rather than a Gamo factory item and could well be what you already have.
    Yes, thanks. I think I missed the Chambers listings looking at Gamo rather than ASI.... They list different springs for the earlier and later models which may explain why my Titan spring doesn't fit. Later one is out of stock though.

I'm not sure what the spring that I found in my spares box was for - old BSA or Webley most probably, But I fitted it and it feels just right - not too strong or too weak and shoots very smoothly so I'm happy to carry on with that.

If anyone is reading this in future, the Gamo 68 & Gamo 85 Paratroopers (certainly the ones that I have ) do appear to take different springs and the Titan XS No.13 is only good for the 68.

Steve.