Thread: Mounts on TX200

Mounts on TX200

Evening All!

Scope mounts..... I've used the thread search and can't find anything conclusive, so looking for guidance

I may have just been lucky, but over the years have never had a scope damaged from being used on a springer, have now got a TX200, and have a Hawke Vantage 6-24x44 SF on its way to sit on top of it

Currently using a pair of standard Hawke mounts that came with rifle, and can't really fault them, but have heard horror stories about them - is it worth spending more? The Hawke Vantage range are rated for all calibres, and the one I'm getting has the etched glass reticle so <should> be a little less likely to be affected or damaged by recoil. I'm very tempted by the BKL mounts, as their clamping system would seem to be the only way to get a clamp to tighten equally on both sides of a standard dovetail, but they lack a recoil pin

Dampamount have been around forever, but add considerable bulk and weight to a springer and the standard Hawke/Sportsmatch one piece mounts only really offer the addition of bracing between the two yokes that the scope sits in

Aesthetics play a part too! The BKL mounts simply look better

Hawke warranty their scopes, and I doubt they would do that if they weren't going to measure up to the recoil from a springer, but don't want to be testing out their warranty process

So.... any other mounting options I should consider? One thought is to go for 30mm mounts with a set of shims to give me more options should I change scope in the future, so if any of you know where to get some shims that would help too

flyingfish is online now I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    I use sportsmatch mounts on my TX200s. No way a 12ftlb TX200 should break a scope
    Pete

Mounts

Been shooting for 43 years. Never had an issue with sportsmatch mounts or the later rivals from Hawke, BKL. Also used Gower, apel, pro mount and Rhino. Never a problem. Mach 1.5

Likewise. Been shooting springers for about the same time and never suffered issues with scopes or mounts. I have one or two Hawke mounts but the vast majority of mine since launch have been Sportsmatch. Where possible and where clearance allows, I prefer a one-piece mount for the "belt and braces" approach and extra reassurance.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

BKL one piece it is then...

You shouldn't have to use an arrestor pin on a TX - they're pretty sedate as far as springers go.

Personally, I use a Dampa mount on my TX - It doesn't need it but, I like the extra reassurance and, I prefer a 1 piece mount.

BKL mounts are excellent and will certainly do the job 👍

All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper View Post
    BKL one piece it is then...
    Been using the model #260 1-piece BKL's for many years on a TX200, actually 3 of them, and they never move.

Quote Originally Posted by FPoole View Post
    Been using the model #260 1-piece BKL's for many years on a TX200, actually 3 of them, and they never move.
    Just fitted..... new scope arrives tomorrow to go on top, but out the box they look really good, had to use the spreader method to slide them onto dovetails, and even without tightening they are a snug fit

You guys are lucky that you cant shoot 14fpe Supersports- they kill both mounts and scopes

But back to topic, I'm using BKL mounts on the TX, and they have been very stable over several years. I like the fact that they are self-centering, so theres one less theoretical problem to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    You guys are lucky that you cant shoot 14fpe Supersports- they kill both mounts and scopes

But back to topic, I'm using BKL mounts on the TX, and they have been very stable over several years. I like the fact that they are self-centering, so theres one less theoretical problem to worry about.
    Yes, I'd imagine the higher powered Supersports to be a lively little number.. But at least you always have the option of a de-tune and improvement of the firing cycle.

I've not had the pleasure of using the BKL mounts first hand but have always understood them to be excellent. And, as you say, the self-centering feature reassuring in theory.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!