Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Diana 280

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Like I said before, if Diana had offered a better stock and a much shorter barrelled version than even the K (to help us carbine lovers) then it may have sold better, I had a bigtoe tuned one and although lovely to shoot was let down by the low cheek piece.

Pete
    I use sportsmatch low mounts on mine and don't find it too bad. Coincidentally I shot it yesterday for the first time in a while. Stiffer to cock than my short stroked 95 but so much steadier when firing, I need to look at the 95 again
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Hi,

Interesting thread this, I had a .22 280k for a while, was an absolute dog out the box, shot like a mule with no lube at all. Once cleaned, kit installed, detuned to 10.5ft lbs and t06 trigger adjusted (lovely trigger to be fair) it shot ok, not cheap though. Sadly for me, the stock was terrible, the length of pull is too long and design is poor. I bought a .22 hw99 as a direct comparison and with a drop in kit it shot the 280k out the park and was cheaper, so moved the 280k on.

shame they never developed the design really, the marketing and business side of Diana RWS has always baffled me, so many missed opportunities or they're just not bothered with the UK market. The shop down the road from me in mid 90s always advertised the 52 in the window, wish I'd bought one at the time.

Thanks, Tony, for your kind words!

It does seem the 280 is somewhat equivalent to marmite: either love it or hate it. Some 280s also appear to have required tuning from out of the box. Perhaps, because mine was bought from this site, it had already been broken in and so this was not a problem for me.

The criticism about Diana and its poor marketing and business side is justified, alas. Possibly there have been financial constraints but without Diana, HW would have a clear run (excepting for the more expensive but excellent Air Arms).

Pete, the one observation I would make about 'K' versions is that, in some cases, the short barrel makes them rather more difficult to cock. This often means the addition of a moderator which, perhaps, defeats the purpose? This is the case with my Webley Longbow, where I find I use the moderator for further leverage.

I rather suspect that in 10 years time, the 280 will be a collector's rifle.

Rgds to all,
    A.