Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Diana 280

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolzzz View Post
    I’ve had some mixed experiences with the 280.

I really wanted one the first time they were announced as that slim stock looked so damn nice and low and behold I snapped up a used full length regular 280 not very long after they were released way back in 2011

First impressions were decent it shot nice and the T06 was a pleasure and that’s coming from a rekord snob

After the novelty had worn off as per usual I moved it on to help fund something else at the time as I regularly flit between Springers/pcp’s.

Then in 2013 I spotted a tuned 280k version (SFS) and just had to try it as I still prefer Carbine type Springers and it ticked the boxes so to speak.

It was a bit meh to be honest and not that dissimilar to my bog standard version so again it was booted out the door for something else

Then my 3rd time lucky surfaced a year later in late 2014 which was another 280k but totally standard this time and same again it was still a bit meh in all honesty.

Couldn’t quite put my finger on why the 280 didn’t quite do it for me maybe it just didn’t feel dare I say ‘quality’ enough and strange as it seems but last year I briefly owned a Remington express that came my way more out of curiosity than anything else but I couldn’t half think it really reminded me of the 280
    You do seemed to have persevered with the 280 and can certainly speak with some authority. Like you I love the T06 trigger though I've no doubt there will always be those that can knock even this. Like you I've a big respect and love for the Rekord so that unit is the benchmark we are measuring against. I have and still own lots of HWs to this day and enjoy flitting between the two marques. Understandably in your case the sale of one funds the purchase of the next and I wonder if that is also a factor in how you've come to own the same gun three times.
    I've never shot a full length version but I suspect it's a little more tame than the 280K which can be a little snappy. I am surprised that the SFS version didn't float your boat as to their credit they do appear to sprinkle some magic on most guns they fettle.
    In contrast to yourself my 280 seems every bit as up to scratch quality wise with my 99s and I think they complement each other, but hey that's me. Having shot a Diana Airking for some time now picking up a 280 or a 99 does feel like picking up a kids toy which of of course they are precisely not. I certainly wouldn't confuse lightweight with cheap build- as am sure many of us wouldn't. Both are lightweight springers which do make an occasional pleasant change from carrying some heavy scale shooting iron around.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    You do seemed to have persevered with the 280 and can certainly speak with some authority. Like you I love the T06 trigger though I've no doubt there will always be those that can knock even this. Like you I've a big respect and love for the Rekord so that unit is the benchmark we are measuring against. I have and still own lots of HWs to this day and enjoy flitting between the two marques. Understandably in your case the sale of one funds the purchase of the next and I wonder if that is also a factor in how you've come to own the same gun three times.
    I've never shot a full length version but I suspect it's a little more tame than the 280K which can be a little snappy. I am surprised that the SFS version didn't float your boat as to their credit they do appear to sprinkle some magic on most guns they fettle.
    In contrast to yourself my 280 seems every bit as up to scratch quality wise with my 99s and I think they complement each other, but hey that's me. Having shot a Diana Airking for some time now picking up a 280 or a 99 does feel like picking up a kids toy which of of course they are precisely not. I certainly wouldn't confuse lightweight with cheap build- as am sure many of us wouldn't. Both are lightweight springers which do make an occasional pleasant change from carrying some heavy scale shooting iron around.
    Dave
    Totally agree with your comments Dave.

Ironically I wouldn’t say no if another one came my way

There is something about them quite appealing and for me it was that elegant stock more than anything else which attracted me to them in the first place

I honestly couldn’t tell the difference between the SFS ‘Tooned’ version and a bog standard version that followed shortly after mores the pity.

I’m trying to rack my brains as much as possible with those 280 experiences but it was a long time ago now and couldn’t believe it was circa 10 years since my first one my how time flys.

However that recent Remington express that was passing through my mitts instantly reminded me of the 280 days which probably says more for the Remington than the 280 perhaps, although I still feel maybe I’m more eluding to that quality feel of the 280 which possibly disappointed a tad.

I had the my .22 280 out last night, for the first time in a while. I consider it good quality inside and out but the plastic fibre optic sights maybe take it down a peg. I did quite like using them though. It now wears a NS Airking 2-7x32 which suits it well.

I put it through the chrono and found it was giving 10.8fpe with Superdomes and with e.s of 8fps. It shoots very nicely at that and reminds me of the old model 35 in many ways. Which is a good thing.

I have one,
    quite happy with it, currently untuned, coffee grinder, has character, hits what you want, looks nice,
    blueing is very well done, nice stock, decent trigger, great weight and balance, worthy of a tune up,
    for me, compares to the 95 or longbow, not the 99,
    great bit of kit,
    shame they have stopped it,
    also like the look of a few of the other mentioned Dianas but have not seen them in person,

Had one. For very short time. Its, like with every Diana bb, too long for me. Especially in standing position which I was gonna use it for. So sold it. Never looked back.
    ATB,
    yana

Diana 280k

Following on from the views on this thread I have just picked up one of these rifles and must say I'm really pleased I did. SFS Tuned also. Thanks guys for adding another rifle to my collection and just as I was reducing it. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Following on from the views on this thread I have just picked up one of these rifles and must say I'm really pleased I did. SFS Tuned also. Thanks guys for adding another rifle to my collection and just as I was reducing it. Mach 1.5
    Excellent. Welcome to the dark side.

Nice one Paul

Be interesting to hear your thoughts on them especially as it’s SFS ‘Tooned’

It’s quite funny I see quite a few folk claiming to have a clear out or thinning out but are constantly buying more gear 🤔

It’s a disease I’m sure

Good stuff. Lovely pointable balanced guns. Think even the Americans caught on to their charms in the end despite their UK designed top end power.
    I too would be interested to hear your take on the T06 trigger and general characteristics with the SFS tune.
    Dave

Diana

Well I have sold 12 this year to make way for this one. Very pointable and well balanced. Good solid lockup and trigger is rather nice. First stage a little long but on the whole a cracking little rifle. I'll be testing a Harmonics Tuner on this rifle which a good friend made for me. Mach 1.5

Nice one, Paul. Hope you enjoy and keep enjoying. Harmonics Tuner? Guessing that's some sort of adjustable barrel weight? It will be most interesting to hear your findings.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Well I have sold 12 this year to make way for this one. Very pointable and well balanced. Good solid lockup and trigger is rather nice. First stage a little long but on the whole a cracking little rifle. I'll be testing a Harmonics Tuner on this rifle which a good friend made for me. Mach 1.5

The length of the first stage can be altered by changing the two screws in the trigger blade for longer ones but if you go too far the safety becomes in effective. It sets but doesn't prevent firing. An indication of how much it can be reduced by is the amount of free travel of the blade with the safety engaged. I have found this varies on my T06 triggered rifles.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

I am afraid I have been absent from the BBS for sometime - only because I have had too many other distractions, including old cars. However, I found time to visit today and noticed this thread about the 280 being discontinued, which surprised me. I bought a 280 from this site, some three or four years ago, for about £150 from recollection. I am glad I did. No one else seemed interested. I have not used it as much as I would like but have found it a superb rifle, with an excellent cocking and firing cycle and very user friendly. It sits easily in the shoulder, is very light and also accurate, even with the open sights, which I like to use as this is more of a challenge. The TO6 is an excellent trigger. Granted, the plastic foresight is anomalous but this has been a feature on other Diana rifles too. Most people use telescopic sights these days, anyway. With Superdomes, it is performing at a tad over 11ft/lb. It baffles me that more of these were not sold and mine does not require tuning.

I fear Diana has been squeezed by HW, which leads the pack by a margin but that does not necessarily mean they are always the best. They might be rather better at marketing and have better agents and distribution channels. That said, Diana is one of the big names in air rifles and they should not be dismissed.

I rather suspect that now the 280 has been discontinued, it will become a collector's item and especially as so few were made compared, for example, to the HW99.

Rgds to all
    A

Great to see you back, Andrew, and to read of your love for the 280.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Like I said before, if Diana had offered a better stock and a much shorter barrelled version than even the K (to help us carbine lovers) then it may have sold better, I had a bigtoe tuned one and although lovely to shoot was let down by the low cheek piece.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in