Thread: Any Gamo Experts on here?

Any Gamo Experts on here?

Hi Chaps.

I was wondering if there were any knowledgeable sorts on here who could help me with a Gamo question? Despite not being obviously collectable I have noticed a few (a lot?) of members do have a memory or two of a Gamo rifle or pistol so its worth a shot.

In 2006 (15 years ago now-time flies) Gamo released what I thought at the time was a reasonably handsome break barrel called the Hunter Pro. It had a fluted bull barrel and the sloping rear of the action looks like an old Cadet or Mercury. At the same time they released a Hunter Sport which looks almost identical but minus that lovely slope on the rear which I think we can all agree is important.

So, my question is do these rifles share the same action? The Blue Book gives them the same stats... Also has that stunning rear on the Pro got any connection to BSA?

Does anyone own either of these rifles? Have they any connection to BSA or are they of totally Spanish origin?

Thanks for any help, the only Gamo literature that I have pre dates this rifle and information from Gamo or other sites is just non existent... I may try and find an old Pro (!) to put on the rack alongside my Mercury. I think at the time I was put off by what was described as a polymer barrel whatever that is.

Possibly not a great help to you but have you had a look at any of the parts diagrams for Gamo, like the ones on Chambers website? Might be possible for you to identify your model (there seems to be a few Hunters, some with suffixes, & a few Sports too) if you can, then maybe a check to see if there are any part numbers which are common to both might help answer your question.
    Gamos kind of slid under the radar for me but are creeping in...... Had one in 22, the magnum, that I thought about converting to .177 but project stalled. I like the trigger units for some reason although quite a few don't seem to favour them much. Cheers

Question

Hi Karl

I have a Gamo Stutzen that I bought new from JSR (Pre ban), It has the sloping back block but has a pop up breech, I'm not 100% sure but I think there was a break barrel equivilant (Like the Airsporer and Mercury), It may have been the 440 as it has the same sloping back block

I suppose it's possible that the two you mentioned that were different at the back end could have been completely different actions

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Trajectory-that is an excellent idea, I feel a bit of a dumbass for not coming up with that myself as I spent over an hour trying to find information on those actions. To be honest I never realised that Knibbs etc would stock the parts as I always associated older guns with them. I also wish Gamo would just take a breathe and slow down on their releases or at least think up different names for their guns, there are so many "Hunter" air rifles in their range. The .22 Magnum was an excellent rifle, I had one many years ago and it was accurate and powerful.

Johnbaz... I envy you the Stutzen, I missed one of those in a shop in Pendle... I shop like a fool and bought a Griffan thing that looked like a wierd M16 and a Hatsan when I should have bought the Stutzen.... I do wonder if Gamo got that back end from BSA as I think they owned them by then? Either way that Stutzen is beautiful. I am on a quest now for the Hunter pro which has those curves.
    Last edited by Gamocfx; 20-04-2021 at 06:04 PM.

Isn’t the swoopy back bit just a (plastic?) cosmetic add-on, rather than part of the trigger block as in the real BSAs?

You may have a point there Geezer... will look on some parts diagrams now. I assumed it was metal, the ugly duckling arse of the Hunter has a plastic cover not unlike a Meteor so it is possible.

Check here. Scroll for parts diagrams
    https://www.aceros-de-hispania.com/g...despieces-gamo
    ATB,
    yana

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    The sloppy back bit is indeed a plastic add on, I bought one a while back from Knibbs to try and add to my Brocock Independent which is a mix of Gamo action with a BSA barrel in a different stock, the sloppy bit fits the rear of the action but the stock has to be modified, I've found that a lot of Gamo parts are generic and may only differ in length, like cylinders or cocking linkages etc to cater for different powered models.

So getting back to your question, I expect the actions of the rifles you mention are the same but the stocks may be different regarding the fitting of the sloppy back block, that idea was most probably stolen from BSA as Gamo bought BSA back in the 1980's, that's why the newer Meteors look and are very Gamo in looks.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

hwtgyr thank you for that link... I have looked for ages and went on the Gamo site a few times and missed this. What a fantastic link, already have several pages downloaded ready for printing. The sloping part in question does indeed look like its an "add on" for aesthetic purposes only so could well just be plastic.

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    hwtgyr thank you for that link... I have looked for ages and went on the Gamo site a few times and missed this. What a fantastic link, already have several pages downloaded ready for printing. The sloping part in question does indeed look like its an "add on" for aesthetic purposes only so could well just be plastic.
    Yep defo plastic.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Your right about the Gamo actions Pete. There are literally dozens of models on offer that use the same part numbers. I suppose its a reflection of their business model to have a seemingly new model out every month but frustratingly models drop out of their range just as quickly. Despite this they do occasionally hit on a winner like the 440 or the Stutzen. Its a pity about the part being plastic... suspiciously BSA looking. Who knows with manufacturing starting here quality may improve (not that it the worst by far).