Thread: History of the straight stock...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Beeman 77 straight stock

Thanks for replies to date. So we can surmise that it’s most probably a special created by Beeman. And in limited numbers, so rare. I wonder when and why. And how may? The gun in the previous thread goes back roughly 84/85. (My Mk1 is 85). Don’t know much about Beeman. Any suggested sources to dig deeper?
    https://www.walnut.black

Quote Originally Posted by GSMN1 View Post
    Thanks for replies to date. So we can surmise that it’s most probably a special created by Beeman. And in limited numbers, so rare. I wonder when and why. And how may? The gun in the previous thread goes back roughly 84/85. (My Mk1 is 85). Don’t know much about Beeman. Any suggested sources to dig deeper?
    Here is Beeman discussing rare and collectible Airguns. I don’t think he mentioned this type of stock? Surprising given he is not shy about his contributions?

https://www.beemans.net/airguncollecting.htm

This was originally mine (although it didn't look anywhere near as good as it does now), and I was sure I emailed Weihrauch about this; I'll have a trawl through my emails and see if they ever replied.

EDIT: That didn't take as long as I thought it might; they were interested in pictures, but did confirm that it was never supplied by the factory as a straight stock. Looks like it was a custom (albeit very good) job.

I don't recall seeing any mention of a custom straight stock 77 in old Beeman catalogs. It's strange to me that such nice work would have been turned out in beechwood rather than walnut.

Don R.

I've dug around as much as I can, and do not have any facts to play with. The www is a big place!!! The most I can muster is that Beeman allegedly did some straight stock variants of some Weihrauch and Webley airguns for the US market and this may be one of those!

Where I have seen forum content it seems to polarise people. Love or hate. Personally, I love the look. IMO it is supremely elegant. But My .22LR days have hardwired a wrist - hand - trigger finger position. that I find difficult to break out of with any comfort. So it is either going to be a wall hanger or go to someone else with an aptitude to shoot the straight stock.

I believe I had a similar conversation with Hartcliffer.
    https://www.walnut.black

To me, a straight stock is the type fitted to early crossbows or the block type ones used in heavy benchrest shooting.
    I've always known that type of stock you show as a 'Straight Hand Stock', sometimes called an 'English' stock over the big pond. It is designed for fast handling and is i
    usually fitted to guns primarily used for snap shooting and field guns rather than those used for target work.
    Possibly a search using those terms might yield better results

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    To me, a straight stock is the type fitted to early crossbows or the block type ones used in heavy benchrest shooting.
    I've always known that type of stock you show as a 'Straight Hand Stock', sometimes called an 'English' stock over the big pond. It is designed for fast handling and is i
    usually fitted to guns primarily used for snap shooting and field guns rather than those used for target work.
    Possibly a search using those terms might yield better results
    I believe the early LJ/BSA rifles were offered with the 'Straight Hand Stock' to provide a cheaper alternative to the more complex and therefore costlier to produce 'Pistol Grip Stock'.

Brian