Thread: what are the best webley pistols to collect or the most expensive

what are the best webley pistols to collect or the most expensive

i fancied a mk1 straight grip early i understand there is spring or dual spring release some talk about ?

Quote Originally Posted by zeroscore View Post
    i fancied a mk1 straight grip early i understand there is spring or dual spring release some talk about ?
    The pre-war Webley air pistols are probably the most desirable from a collecting point of view due mainly to their comparative rarity, but this also means they attract considerably higher prices when they do come up for sale. The flat spring clips you refer to were used to hold the barrel in place on the first (1924) Mk1s once the pistol had been cocked. It is believed a single spring resting against the barrel was fitted on the very first models quicky followed by a double spring arrangement and then finally replaced with the traditional catch as the spring tension sometimes made releasing the barrel difficult and also resulted in quite deep marks at the point of engagement with the barrel. No examples of the single clip model have surfaced and very few double clip variants have survived resulting in them being the most expensive. I would expect prices for the double Spring Clip Mk1 to be in the £1000-£1,500 price range if you could find one.
    A bit more common but still rare and in order of cost would probably be the pre-war Mk2 Target, Straight Grip Senior, Slant Grip Senior, Mk1 and Junior. All of these attract prices in the £200-£500 range depending on condition. The post-war models are a bit cheaper, but still attract quiet high prices with the Senior and early Premier models being most desirable.
    So, if you are mainly interested in pure collecting rather than shooting them, I would go for pre-war models, but the post-war pistols while still being collectable are cheaper to buy and better suited to regular use with spares being readily available for all these pistols. You might want to get a copy of this book before you start down the long but rewarding road of Webley air pistol collecting.

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 15-04-2021 at 02:47 PM.

Some of the rare ones are US imported with walnut checkered grips. Also those with boxes are great collector pieces. Here is my early Target. In collecting condition is everything and this one is about mint.

Last edited by 45flint; 15-04-2021 at 01:05 PM.

thats gorgeous

Biting my lip.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Biting my lip.
    Go on say it U know U want too.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Biting my lip.
    Why have you done that. Did you break one of those crappy HW stocks that cracked you under the chin?

Collecting Webley air pistols is a bit like starting on a tub of Pringles, one is not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    Why have you done that. Did you break one of those crappy HW stocks that cracked you under the chin?
    Which one? Chin I mean.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Alternative view?

The most expensive? Easy, just look at sold prices...

The best? What people don't consider collectable now - but will in the future...

I'm not a collector - my oldies are guns I wanted as a kid. But the Hurries/Tempest I wanted when younger & bought over the last few years have increased a great deal...despite me actually using them

ATB

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

good thinking that i was out today and splashed out and as soon as i work out how to load pictures perhaps someone will date my mk1 ?

i just had a fixation on getting one this one shoots well
    really in .177 flavour
    i will upload pictures over weekend guys
    thank you very much

Quote Originally Posted by zeroscore View Post
    good thinking that i was out today and splashed out and as soon as i work out how to load pictures perhaps someone will date my mk1 ?

i just had a fixation on getting one this one shoots well
    really in .177 flavour
    i will upload pictures over weekend guys
    thank you very much
    About 50000 Webley Straight Grip Mk1s were produced between 1924 and 1935 before being superseded by the Slant Griip model, so you can get a rough idea when yours was made from the Ser No. Some good pictures may also help in identifying any minor progressive manufacturing details which could possibly narrow dating down a bit further
    Brian