Thread: Best pellet for BSA Airsporter MK6 .177

Operating without any decent restraint - Nottm

Best pellet for BSA Airsporter MK6 .177

Righto
    After what seems like a lifetime, I've finally got one.
    Before I get into stripping it down and fettling it, I think getting some suitable lead for it would be best.
    What do the crusty learned members recommend? I seem to remember reading Airgun World back in the late 70s that BSA changed the bores into something else. I guess Ely Wasp aint the wonderful looking silver beasts they once were, having looked in a tin some years ago.

Over to you.

Look a bit lively on this as I intend to get some online sharpish...
    Last edited by Neil.; 15-04-2021 at 05:03 PM.
    1st Battalion Humberside Cavalier Rescue Deserters on the cut

I'd recommend a complete strip down and thorough assessment of your particular item before deciding further as IMHO many BSA's of this genre don't deserve time and money being spent on them. Why spend oodles of money on something that's 7.5 ftlbs with the right pellet and 5.5ftlbs with the "wrong un".

IMHO, the cylinder of this era of Airsporters needed more attention than any other part of the item, not mentioning in addition Piston Head and Buffer Washer problems.

Vic Thompson.
    Last edited by Vic Thompson; 15-04-2021 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil. View Post
    Righto
    After what seems like a lifetime, I've finally got one.
    Before I get into stripping it down and fettling it, I think getting some suitable lead for it would be best.
    What do the crusty learned members recommend? I seem to remember reading Airgun World back in the late 70s that BSA changed the bores into something else. I guess Ely Wasp aint the wonderful looking silver beasts they once were, having looked in a tin some years ago.

Over to you.

Look a bit lively on this as I intend to get some online sharpish...
    Don't know much about the Mk 6, I've got a 2 & 4. In .22. Think there was a change from 5.6 to 5.5mm in the '70's.
    As for .177, I'd just go with a cheap, decent pellet to start with. Hobby or Excite 2?
    Eley Wasps? No longer Eley, & the copies are - I think - no longer made.

No doubt someone who knows a lot more will be along in a bit.

ATB

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

I have loads of original genuine Eley Wasps if you want some at a reasonable price just drop me a pm.
    regards
    Craiga Boy

Not sure it matters that much, TBH. These aren’t exactly match rifles. Any decent light-medium weight pellet, probably. Hobbys, Superdomes, JSBs, FTT etc etc.

.177” Eley Wasps were good, back in the day, but not any better than the better RWS, H&N etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Thompson View Post
    I'd recommend a complete strip down and thorough assessment of your particular item before deciding further as IMHO many BSA's of this genre don't deserve time and money being spent on them. Why spend oodles of money on something that's 7.5 ftlbs with the right pellet and 5.5ftlbs with the "wrong un". IMHO, the cylinder of this era of Airsporters needed more attention than any other part of the item, not mentioning in addition Piston Head and Buffer Washer problems. Vic Thompson.
    Would you agree that another option would be that Neil could drill out the butt stock, fill it with a good amount of lead and place it by the door for self defense and protection?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    if you want to make it shoot better, increase the stroke and convert the piston nose to take a diana 28mm seal. really transforms the rifle.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    if you want to make it shoot better, increase the stroke and convert the piston nose to take a diana 28mm seal. really transforms the rifle.
    Any Pictures, Jon?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Any Pictures, Jon?
    don;t think so, but I did a thread on it on here a while back...

edit here's one:
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....orter-MKV-Tune
    Last edited by Shed tuner; 16-04-2021 at 04:33 PM.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I must admit I don't buy into the 5.5/5.6 argument as in my experience 5.5mm pellets like Hobbys and FTT perform very accurately and consistently in these old 'British Bores'; more so than 5.6mm equivalents. There are exceptions such as a BSA Improved Model D I have that will only group with .22 Marksman pellets - yes it's true!

John M
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    I must admit I don't buy into the 5.5/5.6 argument as in my experience 5.5mm pellets like Hobbys and FTT perform very accurately and consistently in these old 'British Bores'; more so than 5.6mm equivalents. There are exceptions such as a BSA Improved Model D I have that will only group with .22 Marksman pellets - yes it's true!

John M
    I'm now getting increasingly cynical about the 5.6mm argument as well - find the RWS 5.5mm Superdomes work very well in most of my oldies. Guess the initial blast of air seals them to the bore?
    Tried the 5.6mm Marksman & was impressed at first, but don't know if I'll bother again. Did a couple of side by side tests with them & Superdomes with Mk3's/AirSporters, & the RWS were better.

ATB

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post

John M
    Yes, the larger FTTs perform well in some 5,6mm barrels, and Superdomes perform well in most 5,6mm barrels. Gamo Match wadcutter and Hunter roundnose are often good too.
    But the old 5,6mm Wasp is usually better, and I have never seen 5,5mm JSB's do well in old 5,6mm barrels, so I still believe the myth.

Isn't .177 4.5mm? I'm no expert...

Glad it wasn’t just me thinking that.

I do, though, think the 5.6 vs 5.5 thing is either not an actual thing, or much less big of a thing than some think. Back in the 80s, it was common to find that German or Japanese “5.5” pellets would shoot as well or slightly better than the gold standard Eley Wasp through “5.6” barrels.

I think we've wondered off topic slightly Neil

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.