Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSA Scorpion Pistol

BSA Scorpion Pistol

Hi guys,

Has anyone tried, or know of a good idea to do away with the cocking aid on a BSA Scorpion pistol?

Basically.. I have a really nice Mk1 Scorpion which I am planning on a little restoration. I’d really like to get it re-blued, and get it back into tip top shape, but once done, I’ll be somewhat reluctant to put the cocking aid back on. Even if left in place, they tend to move slightly and mark the blueing, but if taken on and off, you can’t help but to leave numerous linear scratches on the end of the barrel, no matter how carefully you remove it.

There’s no recess left at the end of the barrel as on the old BSA rifles that could be threaded to accept a silencer.. it’s a MK1, so there are no scope rails.. meaning that the foresight has to remain in place.. they’re far too awkward and uncomfortable to cock without an aid if some kind..

So I was trying to come up with some idea of how I could make the pistol easy to cock, but also keep the fresh blueing intact.. any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help 👍🏻

The cocking aid supplied with the Scorpion is part and parcel of the pistol's make up, so unless you just want to look at it, rather than shoot it, there is no alternative that I know of without modifying the barrel.
    BSA even supplied the same cocking aid with the Buccaneer and Shadow, and both have longer barrels fitted to a Scorpion action.

I bought my first Scorpion in 1973, the year they were introduced, and have since purchased a few more, but most have now gone.

The man to ask is 'ggggr' on this forum; what he doesn't know about the workings of the Scorpion isn't worth knowing.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Whilst I completely agree with TS, another possible approach is to fit a weak spring, allowing cocking by holding the barrel further back.. but a low powered scorpion just isn't a scorpion
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

have a new cocking aid made out of steel or aluminium. sleeve the barrel diameter with some delrin or fit 'O' rings to stop it moving about or you could fit a nylon tipped grub screw as a pinch to hold it in.

Certainly GGGR is your man he gifted me a Scorpion years ago with a barrel that has a silencer on it... helps as a cocking aid and makes the gun look err manly? Beefy? Cant think of a description but it certainly looks the part and is great fun

Scorpion

As I recall, the barrel is counter bored for some distance, you could tap this and fit an adaptor to use a steel silencer as a cocking aid. HTH David.
    Sorry, just read your post properly! Not counter bored.

I don't claim to be a muscle man , but for the last forty seven years I've been using Scorpions without the aid.
    Maybe try having a bit of a practice at cocking without it, I think provided you've no arthritis issues you'll not find it too hard.

As an alternative to the cocking aid, Airforce made a one piece slide on silencer to fit BSA barrels complete with cut out for the foresight

My dad has a scorpion and had the same problem as you. He purchased a blued steel1/2" unf silencer adapter off Ramsbottom's for about £6 then just screwed on a nice little silencer. Works a treat

BSA Scorpion

Back in the Mid 80's venom did a few scorpions for their pistol & rifle club members. Tuned action, steel silencer and HW77 sights modified to fit. 22 cal only and great plinking fun. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Farsight View Post
    I don't claim to be a muscle man , but for the last forty seven years I've been using Scorpions without the aid.
    Absolutely, I've never felt the need either.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Seth View Post
    Absolutely, I've never felt the need either.
    +1 but there is a knack
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

It feels like cocking the Sorcpion without the aid can disturb the front sight, especially in the mk2 with the adjustable front sight.
    It may not be a real problem, but it sure feels a bit problematic.

Gluing the Cocking Aid "permanently" in place would stop it moving around and eliminate damage to the bluing on the original barrel, or alternatively, you could buy a spare barrel for it and use that for shooting with, that way keeping the original barrel pristine.

HTH, Vic Thompson.

a pistol ive always liked but never got around to buying one