Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TX200HC vs HW97k Head-to-Head

TX200HC vs HW97k Head-to-Head

In a freakish twist of fate, these two guns, ordered 10 weeks apart, both arrived this week (see LINKY). That being the case, I thought this might be an ideal opportunity to do a side-by-side comparison of the often-debated TX200 vs HW97.

The contenders:

TX200HC in .177 with walnut stock

HW97k in .20 in std beech sporter stock

I realise the calibres being different means it'll never be a true like-for-like comparison, but AA don't do a .20 TX200, and the HW97k was ordered WAAAAY before so I could find out what all the .20 fuss was about!

Here's my findings (with some surprising results) - all scores are out of 10:

Bluing TX:10 HW:9
    Both had good, even bluing, but the AA was deeper and darker - comparable to the bluing on my brummie Longbow

Stock TX:9 HW:7
    The TX stock is a beautiful piece of walnut, but I'm not sure about the fish-scale chequering (yet). Unfortunately, HW don't have a walnut option, so I had to order the beech - it's a perfectly good, well proportioned stock, just a bit plain..... I might look at a custom stock CS500 when funds allow

Weight TX:9 HW:9

Both guns are full-size, and scoped-up there's nothing in it, with them both tipping the scales at 10.5lbs, with the centre of gravity ~ 4" in front of the trigger

Lever Release TX:9 HW:10
    The TX uses a just spring-loaded detent ball to hold the under-lever in place. To release, you simply pull the lever downwards until the ball over comes the spring pressure. The HW also uses a spring-loaded ball, but in conjunction with a button-plunger on the end of the catch assembly - simply pressing the button in allows the under-lever to fall free. Personally I prefer the HW system as there's little or no force involved, but I might be biased as I already have an HW77 with the same catch, that I've gotten used to.

Cocking TX:9 HW:10
    The TX has the slightly shorter lever, so requires a bit more effort - something that's become important to me since recently dislocating my shoulder!. We all know that the TX runs on synthetic bearings, so the cocking cycle is typically smooth, although with a tiny hint of roughness, which I suspect is just the bearings bedding in. The HW was a huge surprise in this dept - the cocking cycle was even smoother than the TX! I can only compare it to running a well-oiled finger across a sheet of glass. I've heard rumours that HW have done some work in this area, and I can only say I'm impressed!

Anti Bear-Trap TX:5 HW:8
    I've never been a big fan of ABT's, and prefer to rely on safe handling, but the TX unit drives me NUTS. I'm not sure if I just haven't got the knack of it yet, and maybe the dud shoulder doesn't help, but I find that I'm swapping hands, and where I'm gripping numerous times during the cocking/loading process, so I feel like I'm juggling the guns at times, which can't be a good thing. Also, the TX ABT makes a god-awfull ratchet-clacking noise when you cock the gun - I know you can overcome this by holding the ABT in, but that's more gun-juggling! In contrast the HW ABT is far simpler, and much less intrusive, albeit of a slightly weaker design, which just blocks the trigger from releasing until the under-lever is returned to it's original position.

Trigger TX:8 HW:9
    Both guns have excellent trigger mechanisms: the rekord is legendary, and the TX one is very close behind. I didn't like the contouring on the front of the TX trigger blade - it's convex, which I feel encourages the finger-tip to pull across the trigger somewhat, and not straight backwards. The HW trigger is nice and flat across it's face, but the length of pull is a bit long for my short, fat fingers. If I could have the HW blade, with the TX length of pull it'd be perfect (Rowan Engineering will be getting a call before long!)

Firing TX:8.5 HW:6
    Both guns had issues, which is a bit disappointing given their heritage (and cost!). The TX firing cycle is very nice: a slight thump of recoil, no twist, no dieselling, but quite loud (it's a .177 carbine, after all) - the big issues with the TX is that over the chrono it's running consistently over the limit (~12.5 ftlbs) with AA Fields, and is likely to increase as it beds in. Consequently, I'm going to have to open it up and remove some, or all of the 4 power washers to cool it down. Unfortunately, the HW fared worse: the firing cycle is comparable in terms of recoil, and report (and again, no dieselling), but there's an ALMIGHTY twang! It seems that the improvements in the cocking process didn't extend to a decent-fitting spring guide! Welsh Willy will be getting a call! In addition to the twang, the HW was also running at only ~10.2 Ftlbs with H&N FTT's. Again, this will rise a bit as the gun beds in, but I'd hope for better than that out of the box.

Accuracy - It's too soon to tell, and to be honest, I expect there to be nothing between the two guns with the right ammo.

TOTAL (/80) TX: 67.5 HW: 68

I swear I didn't fudge those scores to get them so close! As you can see, in total there's not much between the two, but both guns have different strengths & weaknesses, and both will need some attention before I'm completely happy with them.

Dunk
    Last edited by Dunk1302; 27-05-2013 at 09:50 AM.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, raise the black flag & start slitting throats"

Since writing this I've put another hundred or so pellets through both guns, and the TX has settled down to a much healthier 11.4 ftlbs - even Bis Mags & Hobby's stay well under the limit - I'll just have to keep an eye on the power in case it creeps back up.

Unfortunately, the HW hasn't changed at all: still low on power (9.8 - 10.2 ftlbs) and twangy. I've already ordered one of Welsh Willy's fine kits for it.

Consequently, the above scores will have the TX edging it over the HW.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, raise the black flag & start slitting throats"

Thanks for this write up bud!
    AA TX200 MKIII .177 + Nutshot Silencer
    My Site / Wooden Gates / Decking Strips

Thank you for the written up.
    I've a TX in .22 but want to go back to .177 and am torn between these two (& pro port & LGV) so seems its down to how it feels to hold with rest so close.

What do you think of the .20 as a calibre though? I'm struggling with .22 hence the back to .177

Thanks for the review matey, answered a few questions for me there

Paul

A useful review there, Dunk. With any luck it'll reduce the number of "TX200 or HW97?" threads

I know a lot of people don't like the ratchet on the TX, but I never had an issue with it; after a while the hand swapping became natural and it didn't take significantly longer than with a non-ratchet system.

Matt

Good review! It is disappointing that there is a need to refine a gun so early into ownership, but I guess it's the fiddling around with tuning kits etc that makes up half the fun
    Mk3 RT Type D .177 with Lightstream 4.5-14x44 FFP
    Prosport .177 with MTC 3-12x44
    Steyr LP10
    Beretta 682 Gold E 12G
    HW45 .177

That made interesting reading thanks. I have owned in the past two HW97k's, a .20 for a short while and a brand new .22. I have had for a few years now a TX200hc MkII and a B40 both .22. For me the TX is the noisiest in terms of muzzle rapport, the B40 is noticeably quieter and can't remember the HW being noisy. Out in the open fields they are all quiet enough. The TX for me feels more comfortable and natural to use, stock on the Bam feels dead, can't really explain? The stock on the HW felt unrefined but having an HW80 since 1986 this was not really a problem
    All three are deadly accurate and have little down sides but all are worthy guns
    For me personally my favourite is
    UL: TX200hc
    BB: HW80k
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

All the 97 needs to resolve all it's issues is a couple of nylon washers in the piston at the front of the spring - the cost is negligible and I can't imagine why weihrauch don't simply add them at the factory (and call it 'tuned' obviously).

Oh - and I rate my 97 over my TX as well..
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

Funny that..... I am sat here at my desk having just put the short stroke kit back on my TX. So I have a rest for a minute and read this. Having test fired the TX for a few shots all I can say is that it is a lovely shooting thing - but I still prefer my 97 too!
    My youtube channel and please subscribe if you like itShooting at Dawn
    Facebook group Air Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gen View Post
    All the 97 needs to resolve all it's issues is a couple of nylon washers in the piston at the front of the spring - the cost is negligible and I can't imagine why weihrauch don't simply add them at the factory (and call it 'tuned' obviously).

Oh - and I rate my 97 over my TX as well..
    .....and a snug-fitting spring-guide to get rid of that ruddy TWANG

Dunk

I've owned all of these rifles and recently sold my V Glided HW97K and currently own-and am delighted with -a slightly modified left handed TX200HC with walnut stock and Rowan trigger blade. This lovely gun- and stock bought separately- cost me half what I received when I sold the HW97K and its performance is as good in every way although the Ginb stock I used on the HW97K was fantastic. Stupidly I flirted for the 4th time with a Pro Sport but I now fully understand that nothing can alter the fact that it IS a right handed rifle and even with a lovely left handed stock it just isn't as comfortable to use as either the TX200 or HW97K. Whilst it is superbly accurate, the cocking and loading is a pain in the arris for me. Why did I bother to try one again?? I've honestly no idea.
    A lot of TX owners seem to hate the anti beartrap but it doesn't worry me at all.
    Last edited by Rapidnick; 30-05-2013 at 05:33 PM.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Decisions

Good review, timely too as I'm in the middle of deciding between the two models for my first rifle.

Most likely to be the TX purely based on the fact that I think I've found a cracking example at a price I want to pay. I wanted the HW97 but for some reason most on the used market are in 22 and I want 177. Both top rifles though.

as you may of noticed in my posts .... i have just got a tx200hc in .177 ... its the first ,177 i have ever owned or shot .... its left handed in wallnut and a truely beautiful looking thing .
    I was so surprised by the accuracy of it and have to be totally honest in saying that on my 40-45 yard range it is just as accurate as my s410 carbine ... and i NEVER EVER thought a springer would be !!
    im no marksman but after a short while with the tx200hc i can place a 5 shot group under a 5p coin at 40 - 45 yards which astonished me ..... i havent tried the hw97 but have a mate who has one and we will be shooting togeather so i will give it a go .....
    but for now i have to say hand on heart my tx200hc wont be going anywhere ..... its DEFINATLY a keeper and ive never ever been so delighted with a rifle

Nice comparison. Thanks for that.

I must admit Im really taken with he new "fish scaled" stock of the TX200HC especially in the walnut Arm Arms source. Would love to shoot one.