Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I searching for a hens tooth?

Am I searching for a hens tooth?

I've had tremendous fun shooting & plinking with the .177 HW40 that I got around a year ago. Very accurate and reliable and gives a great deal of satisfaction when I can put a decent group together or hit consecutive cans at distance.

The single shot has got me hankering after something with multi-shot capability though for when you just want to rattle a few pellets off. Thing is I'm not sure whether what I've been looking for actually exists unless you spend mega money on something like an LP50.

Ideally I want something that can be as accurate as the HW40 in the right hands, multi-shot, self-indexing, preferably pcp rather than co2, nice two-stage trigger or at least a trigger that is light and consistent, and sights adjustable for windage and elevation.

I've had a go with a CP88 and also a Sig P226. The CP88 was pretty nice shooting single action and I did wonder about looking at a 6" version. The P226 was a fun plinker but I'd be disappointed with accuracy and basic sights if it was mine. I've also seen the CP400 which aside from the basic sight seems pretty good. I think the one that is topping the list at the moment is the PP800 though, which aside from the bolt action reload and rather quirky looks is very appealing in terms of all the other attributes I'm looking for. Theres the HW44 as well but compared to the PP800 its considerably more expensive and I dont think any more appealing in the looks department. I think a DIY grip in a nice piece of laminate would vastly improve the appearance of the PP800. Not sure the same could be said of the HW44 which is a shame because I love my HW110.

Can anyone offer any other suggestions for my perfect pistol please or am I searching for a hens tooth?
    Be good. And if you can't be good, be good at being bad.

Ps - and if it's not too much to ask ambi grip would be great as I usually shoot right handed but both my lads are lefties.

Rohm Twinmaster?

Drulov Du-10?

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Closest I can think of is the Rohm Trainer with the combat ambi grip, but that's CO2

I have seen a couple of Rohms for sale but put off by the fact they are no longer available new and spares or repairs might be troublesome. And the secondhand prices seem quite high right now for the ones I've seen, around the 500 mark.

Not heard of the Drulov before but that's as much to do with me knowing next to nothing about air pistols. Searching round they seem like hens teeth themselves and quite rare to see secondhand sales.

I'm not sure I'm going to find anything that quite fits the bill so either have to lower my expectations a bit or stick with the single shot hw40. It had a run out in the garden this aft at 20m and I was happy enough knocking small cans down at 20m with it despite the reloading. I have seen a reasonably priced nearly new cp88 competition near my brothers so that might scratch this particular itch and wont incur the rfd transfer as it can wait til we are able to actually meet up.

Edtwozeronine is offline I say dear boy, would you mind awfully doing as you're told?

Thumbs up

The rhoms are PCP target pistols meant for Olympic shootists, none of the better known brands are particularly cheap. There's an smk I forget the model name but it was popular on the airgun forums for being a £200 introductory PCP pistol. The popular mod was to cut down or file down the pistol grip on it to provide better access to the loading port at the rear.

A couple of people picked them up at the club a few years ago and teamed them with a 2x PAO pistol scope.
    ***Proud Member of Castleton Air Rifle Club***

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Buy the HW44 with some restraint and you can always sell it further down the line and get most of your money back, so in real terms it will not actually cost you much
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

I've been on the same search for years, the Drulov and the Crosman 600 seems like the most affordable accurate semiautos, with the Drulov perhaps beeing the most sensible choice these days.
    They are virtually unobtainable here in Norway, but they seem to show up for sale once in a while over in the UK.

Edtwozeronine - your right, what I ideally want seems to fall very much in the camp of a professional shooters pistol with the price tag to match like the Rohm or new / nearly new LP5 or LP50. Serious money for a serious pistol!

Jesim - I dont think I could bring myself to stump up for a HW44. From what I've seen secondhand recently they are fetching nearly as much as I paid for my 110 and more than the Rohms that are available.

Evert - both lovely looking pistols but hens teeth themselves!

I think given the budget im looking at c. £250 tops for what is going to be used for less serious shooting I'm going to have to compromise and accept not all the boxes are going to be ticked. Being realistic I think I should take a look at a PP800 as it ticks most of the boxes. Despite not being self-indexing it is multi-shot and seems more likely to be the most accurate, fully adjustable sights, pcp and has the advantage of being easy to moderate for back garden use.

Thanks all for the input and suggestions, much appreciated and certainly gave food for thought.

Edtwozeronine is offline I say dear boy, would you mind awfully doing as you're told?

Thumbs up

The pp800 certainly seems to fit your bill, I think it was the Artemis that chaps had at the club had but it came with a wooden ambidextrous grip that needed a chop down to access the loading port better. I noticed on current Artemis pistols they've gone to a plastic grip on Google image search it seems anyway.
    ***Proud Member of Castleton Air Rifle Club***

There is the FX Ranchero, 8 shot mag, PCP, right handed. New they were £500. What the availability is now or the price I don't know.
    Gives my pellets wings

Quote Originally Posted by Edtwozeronine View Post
    The rhoms are PCP target pistols meant for Olympic shootists, none of the better known brands are particularly cheap. There's an smk I forget the model name but it was popular on the airgun forums for being a £200 introductory PCP pistol. The popular mod was to cut down or file down the pistol grip on it to provide better access to the loading port at the rear.

A couple of people picked them up at the club a few years ago and teamed them with a 2x PAO pistol scope.
    ...The Rohms have never been Olympic quality particularly the external hammer versions.

...just thought of another.... the Brocock Atomic.

Another suggestion that I had never come across before! I have to admit though after having had a ramble round the web I stumbled on a massive thread all about the PP800 on the other forum. The apparent ease with which they can be worked on and tweaked does appeal. None of the rifles I own or the HW40 went very long before they were disassembled into their constituent parts for a poke around so another pistol which is ripe for a bit of garage time would be an added bonus in my eyes. The inletting on the grip looks relatively straightforward as well so the clunky wood work could be improved or replaced. Better get saving!

Aeron-Brno B96 and B98 are another, though scarce, option.