Thread: Powder id

Powder id

I’m just disassembling some 38 rounds which were given to a mate to shoot off. After a couple of hot shots he had one which nearly blew his rifle up! Moral-NEVER trust someone else's home loads. The powder is a grey very fine ball powder like in some 22 rf. I’m sure I’ve seen it before but can’t place it.. Any ideas on what it might be? I’m just curious to identify it.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Sounds like one of the Ramshot powders.. TAC..?

Propellant

H380? Sounds exactly as you describe.

Used to use it with light bullets in a 243 many moons ago

Sorry, I cannot help you with the powder identification. Could you please tell us how he nearly blew his rifle up ?

Quote Originally Posted by Daryll View Post
    Sounds like one of the Ramshot powders.. TAC..?
    Good call. I had a look at a pot of true blue and that’s it. I knew I’d seen it somewhere.
    There’s 5 grains in his loads which is top end but safe. I think the extra large bang and flattened primer etc must have been a double charge. Either way I will have to pull them all. Heavy crimp as well, it’s a bugger getting them apart.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    Good call. I had a look at a pot of true blue and that’s it. I knew I’d seen it somewhere.
    There’s 5 grains in his loads which is top end but safe. I think the extra large bang and flattened primer etc must have been a double charge. Either way I will have to pull them all. Heavy crimp as well, it’s a bugger getting them apart.
    Could be any of the pistol powder range but as you say only 5 grains my guess would be on vectan sp3 or ramshot enforcer