Thread: looking for a scope to put on my fathers HW77

looking for a scope to put on my fathers HW77

Hello,

looking for recomendations for a scope to put on my fathers HW77,just something for a beginner.

thanks

joe

You won't be a beginner for very long, and if you just buy the cheapest you'll soon wish you had bought better. A 3-9x40 by a half decent maker, and a pair of Sportsmatch mounts will serve you well for all disciplines without breaking the bank.
    Don't skimp on the mounts and don't be lured by high magnification, 30mm tubes or 50mm objectives, you just don't need them. Not yet, anyway

https://uk.hawkeoptics.com/vantage-3...o-mil-dot.html

https://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk...0-scope-mildot

https://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk...0-half-mil-dot

If it's a newer 77 with the larger loading port you've got more options. If it's an early one with the narrower loading port it's all about getting your fingers in to load up. Similarly the mk1 stocks have a lower cheek piece so that makes lower mounts more comfortable.

My sig picture (below) has a Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40mm with high (I think?) mounts, but that's because of the small port and the high cheekpiece. If I switch to the mk1 stock I reduce the mounts.
    The 0.22 Treefeller X X2R HW77k
    Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.

As above, my opinion is that you do not have to spend a fortune to get a good scope. I expect that something in the £100 - £180 range could well be OK plus mounts ... but you do not say what you will be using the gun for and is the shooter you or your father? I ask the question about who will be shooting because a scope that suits your eyes may not suit your father's. If you can do so, go and have a look through some scopes. I am 'past my sell by date' and find very fine reticles difficult but similarly do not want one created out of logs. Hawke scopes have a good reputation and you might like to look at what our sponsor has to offer ... I still use one but expect the model is now obsolete. Personally I would stick with well known names and avoid any bargain basement unknowns for sale at very low prices, often with mounts. There is, of course, the s/h sales section on here but choice may be limited.
    Good luck
    Cheers, Phil

HW77 scope

I put this Hawke 4-16 x 44 mm IR, SF, compact scope on my HW95L using Hawke tactical medium rings. My wife likes the IR feature and we shoot off the back deck at about 25 yards. This is an excellent combo for a Weihrauch rifle that we really enjoy.

Cool

I beg to differ, a bit.

If you are a total beginner and the scope is for your Dad's gun then a cheap scope might do the job adequately, e.g. for backyard plinking.

You do not need high magnification or huge lenses for such casual shooting.
    40mm is plenty, 3 to 9 mag will cover most such use.
    Cheap as chips on the internet marketplaces.
    You might even find a decent used scope?

Then, when or if, you decide that you need or want more then the world is your lobster, Rodney.

You might, for example, end up like me and others with "period" scopes on our rifles.
    Warning! This can get very expensive and anorak-y.

But not necessary until you progress a bit.
    Others may well disagree, of course.

Don't over scope a 77 with a massive scope and if you are starting out you don't need to spend hundreds for basic quality.

Hawke Vantage range is fine or Richter Optik is good too.

My 97 has a Vantage 4x32AO on it. Costs about £50 and is fine for 99% of the targets I shoot at.

i had a small 4 x40 on mine it worked fine

Quote Originally Posted by Zomboid View Post
    Don't over scope a 77 with a massive scope and if you are starting out you don't need to spend hundreds for basic quality.

Hawke Vantage range is fine or Richter Optik is good too.

My 97 has a Vantage 4x32AO on it. Costs about £50 and is fine for 99% of the targets I shoot at.
    I was going to suggest a 4x32, I used them on the 77's I had back in the day
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Ah! You've fixed it then.

I put a Hawke Vantage 3-9x40 on my late father in law’s 77, it suits it a treat and I’m actually quite impressed with the scope.
    Regards,
    Dave.

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    A Nikko Stirling 3-9x40 Panamax will do you well and should cost around about £100 give or take a few quid, if you shop around or buy secondhand then a bargain can be had.

You don't need illuminated reticules but getting a front mounted (or side mounted if you can afford it) parallax adjustment will help greatly with different range shooting.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in