Thread: 5.6 pellets

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I still have some old Eley Wasp but I have found that S.domes are very slightly better in accuracy in my BSA Standards and Webley Mk3s. There is a slight power loss but only in the region of around 0.3ft/lbs compared with Wasp.

H&N were going to produce a 5.6mm for the UK market. I was in touch with them a year or two ago and they had taken on the machinery from one of the 5.6mm pellet makers - I seem to recall it was Vintage Defiant. I provided a report a year or so ago, for the site, on the matter. I do not know where they are now.

Rgds
    A

Thanks guys👍

If you measure H&N FTT 5.53 as ii have most are 5.6mm :-)
    the Bolton wanderer who wandered to London [lost at the time]

I've found SD's as good as anything.

I have tried various, as mentioned the SD's were best in my classic BSA's. Some new Wasps were OK, but, not very consistent from the same tin with a few fliers too.

You can get the FTT in 5.55mm too.

Quote Originally Posted by kev.f View Post
    If you measure H&N FTT 5.53 as ii have most are 5.6mm :-)

Quote Originally Posted by gary_c_ham View Post
    You can get the FTT in 5.55mm too.
    To be honest trying not to make it an issue anymore.I used to think it was important but now less so. done some pellet testing today in the backyard and out of the 7 types of pellets i tried out RWS superdomes came out on top,and none of them were anywhere near 5.6.......
    the Bolton wanderer who wandered to London [lost at the time]

Quote Originally Posted by kev.f View Post
    To be honest trying not to make it an issue anymore.I used to think it was important but now less so. done some pellet testing today in the backyard and out of the 7 types of pellets i tried out RWS superdomes came out on top,and none of them were anywhere near 5.6.......
    This!

There is a slightly obsessive forums thing about 5.5 v 5.6.

Reality is that many/some “5.5” pellets work fine in “5.6” barrels. And, in the old days, 5.6 in 5.5.

There is an issue with older bigger barrels, and it can be a bit hard to find a pellet that works best. But it is neither impossible nor the massive challenge that some think.

And, let’s face it, someone using a .22” Webley Mk3 or BSA Airsporter these days is hardly likely to be using it as a serious hunting or competition tool.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    This!

Reality is that many/some “5.5” pellets work fine in “5.6” barrels. And, in the old days, 5.6 in 5.5.

There is an issue with older bigger barrels, and it can be a bit hard to find a pellet that works best. But it is neither impossible nor the massive challenge that some think.

And, let’s face it, someone using a .22” Webley Mk3 or BSA Airsporter these days is hardly likely to be using it as a serious hunting or competition tool.
    I did lots of tests in my 1911 BSA .22 I used for HFT and the Quigley comps. Defiant and Wasps were good out to 40 yars or so, but at 80 yards the H+N FTT in 5.54 I had at the time were by far the best with no flyers. I had a 45 yard indoor range at a warehouse where I work, and shooting from a rest the 1911 gun could match my little used MK1 HW 80 in group size, with the sights actually being better for my eyes than the 80 broad foresight.

I did a quick comparison with another .177 BSA vs a TX in an awkward setting, but just shows how well a well preserved bored oldie can perform......I used this gun in a HFT comp up at Rivi once and was the only non scoped gun, and did not come last!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/312284...57625297485090

Everone should try some long range open sight practise, it is quite eye opening what a sub 12 pound rifle can do with careful aim and trigger control, especially with apeture sights .scopes make people lazy

ATB, Ed

Webley BSA

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    This!

Yes there is a lot of hot air about 5.6 agreed . And very rightly as you say its not a big challenge to find a suitable alternative today .
    However 'fraid me ole Geezer plenty do still use older their classics for outdoor work These two specifically were good enough for serious use when released .