Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5.6 pellets

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    This!

There is a slightly obsessive forums thing about 5.5 v 5.6.

Reality is that many/some “5.5” pellets work fine in “5.6” barrels. And, in the old days, 5.6 in 5.5.

There is an issue with older bigger barrels, and it can be a bit hard to find a pellet that works best. But it is neither impossible nor the massive challenge that some think.

And, let’s face it, someone using a .22” Webley Mk3 or BSA Airsporter these days is hardly likely to be using it as a serious hunting or competition tool.
    I did lots of tests in my 1911 BSA .22 I used for HFT and the Quigley comps. Defiant and Wasps were good out to 40 yars or so, but at 80 yards the H+N FTT in 5.54 I had at the time were by far the best with no flyers. I had a 45 yard indoor range at a warehouse where I work, and shooting from a rest the 1911 gun could match my little used MK1 HW 80 in group size, with the sights actually being better for my eyes than the 80 broad foresight.

I did a quick comparison with another .177 BSA vs a TX in an awkward setting, but just shows how well a well preserved bored oldie can perform......I used this gun in a HFT comp up at Rivi once and was the only non scoped gun, and did not come last!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/312284...57625297485090

Everone should try some long range open sight practise, it is quite eye opening what a sub 12 pound rifle can do with careful aim and trigger control, especially with apeture sights .scopes make people lazy

ATB, Ed

Maxima power force pellets from Henry kranks work brilliant in bsa and webley tap loaders also in older break barrel Mercury's meteors etc, they are a standard 16 grain round head similar to the jsb exact pellets, they are good quality and a very good fit in tap loaders and in some guns even need to be seated slightly my own mk2 airsporter is doing a healthy 9.8ftb with superdomes/ HN trophys/superpoint etc, when I use the maxima pellets power is a consistent 11ftb and accuracy in excellent.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bbgpvxk7dSPEqziG9

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by DM80 View Post
    Maxima power force pellets from Henry kranks work brilliant in bsa and webley tap loaders also in older break barrel Mercury's meteors etc, they are a standard 16 grain round head similar to the jsb exact pellets, they are good quality and a very good fit in tap loaders and in some guns even need to be seated slightly my own mk2 airsporter is doing a healthy 9.8ftb with superdomes/ HN trophys/superpoint etc, when I use the maxima pellets power is a consistent 11ftb and accuracy in excellent.

Dave.
    Interesting. Never noticed those before.

Quote Originally Posted by DM80 View Post

Dave.
    going to look these up.My mk2 airsporter may like those.
    the Bolton wanderer who wandered to London [lost at the time]

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    I did lots of tests in my 1911 BSA .22 I used for HFT and the Quigley comps. Defiant and Wasps were good out to 40 yars or so, but at 80 yards the H+N FTT in 5.54 I had at the time were by far the best with no flyers. I had a 45 yard indoor range at a warehouse where I work, and shooting from a rest the 1911 gun could match my little used MK1 HW 80 in group size, with the sights actually being better for my eyes than the 80 broad foresight.

I did a quick comparison with another .177 BSA vs a TX in an awkward setting, but just shows how well a well preserved bored oldie can perform......I used this gun in a HFT comp up at Rivi once and was the only non scoped gun, and did not come last!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/312284...57625297485090

Everone should try some long range open sight practise, it is quite eye opening what a sub 12 pound rifle can do with careful aim and trigger control, especially with apeture sights .scopes make people lazy

ATB, Ed

That is a fascinating post. The old BSA open sights are amongst the best I have seen and perhaps the best. It is unfortunate that this style was not maintained in later models or, indeed, introduced by other manufacturers. I agree entirely with what you say about shooting with open sights. It is also far more rewarding.

Personally, I have tried fairly extensive testing in my old BSA Standards (.22) with numerous pellets. There was little in it between the old Eley Wasps, Defiants and S.Domes. At a pinch, S.Domes probably were best but a little below Wasps in power - perhaps 1/2 ft/lb. I was not so impressed with the H&N FTT although I used the 5.53mm.

What type of groups were you getting at up to 80 yds?

Rgds
    A

edbear2 Guest
    Hi Andrew, at 80 yards inside a hanger the best one off I managed was not much bigger than this standing 50 yard group by Trev;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tjm_45...7622365206865/

At 50 I could get something about 3/4 or less the size of Trev's group as was shooting prone and rested, only managed it with the one IMD Sporting I have which is a bit special for some reason, but Trev's shooting shows what most will do even at 50 yards.....again I did a one off a fair bit smaller but it's hard work on the eyes and to cocentrate on the trigger!

They are normally good enough to hit a FT target plate out to 45 yards , and sometimes you fluke a knockdown at the extreme ranges, but many folk can hit all the closer stuff out to 30 yards stuff quite easily with practise.

The problem is in HFT no adjustments allowed so you are often covering the target with the bead at the longest ranges , I used to zero at 25/30 yards in .177 and get a second zero at about 6 yards or so depending on the gun with the POI being higher between these distances.

But practise helps and It's great to see peoples face who only use scopes ... All quite normal at Bisley and other places where they have vintage comps and people are well aware of what these guns can do, and in the hands of younger shooters with good eyesight they will really hold there own.

ATB, Ed

Thanks for that Ed. I was delighted to see the target in the link you posted. That appears to be a 2 inch group, approx, at 50yds. That tells us all we need to know about these wonderful rifles, over 100 yrs old.

However, that you could obtain the same at 80yds is more impressive.

I am even further impressed that you managed a 3/4 in group at 50 yds. I think this is an exceptional rifle for some reason, or have you found that this is typical of the BSA Standard (pre and post WW1)? Did not BSA themselves suggest a 2in group at 50 yds?

I also noted from the photo that Superdomes were used - which at least tends to verify my own research in the matter. This said, I see that Dave has suggested Maxima Power Force pellets from Henry Kranks. It would be interesting to hear from others how they have found these perform in the old BSAs.

I would be interested to attend a vintage shoot at Bisley but have not yet learnt of any taking place.

Warmest rgds
    A

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    Thanks for that Ed. I was delighted to see the target in the link you posted. That appears to be a 2 inch group, approx, at 50yds. That tells us all we need to know about these wonderful rifles, over 100 yrs old.

However, that you could obtain the same at 80yds is more impressive.

I am even further impressed that you managed a 3/4 in group at 50 yds. I think this is an exceptional rifle for some reason, or have you found that this is typical of the BSA Standard (pre and post WW1)? Did not BSA themselves suggest a 2in group at 50 yds?

I also noted from the photo that Superdomes were used - which at least tends to verify my own research in the matter. This said, I see that Dave has suggested Maxima Power Force pellets from Henry Kranks. It would be interesting to hear from others how they have found these perform in the old BSAs.

I would be interested to attend a vintage shoot at Bisley but have not yet learnt of any taking place.

Warmest rgds
    A
    Not 3/4" Andrew , about 3/4 the size of Trevs, so yes about 2 inches........The main factor with the old guns is how they have been treated, I know mine was bought by a dealer / collector about 40 + years ago and carefully stored, and then after he passed a friend bought it, and sold it to me without shooting it as he saw it whilst bidding for a Baker rifle I recall. The bore was full of cosmoline type hard grease and it had the original springs, just the washer needed doing as had gone really soft due to being soaked in oil.

I have no idea why it was not used all this time, the dealer had one or two only air rifles in his private small collection , all the other stuff was classic powder, so maybe a personal reason or memory made him buy the Sporting all that time ago

https://www.flickr.com/photos/312284...-rGp25a-nxDpXV

ATB, Ed

I have found Milbro Select .22 suit the older barrel on the BSA Meteor MK4, and produce 10 ftlbs, on a gun with new seals and spring (all standard parts) which is about the max that can be expected.

Webley BSA

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    This!

There is a slightly obsessive forums thing about 5.5 v 5.6.

Reality is that many/some “5.5” pellets work fine in “5.6” barrels. And, in the old days, 5.6 in 5.5.

There is an issue with older bigger barrels, and it can be a bit hard to find a pellet that works best. But it is neither impossible nor the massive challenge that some think.

And, let’s face it, someone using a .22” Webley Mk3 or BSA Airsporter these days is hardly likely to be using it as a serious hunting or competition tool.
    Yes there is a lot of hot air about 5.6 agreed . And very rightly as you say its not a big challenge to find a suitable alternative today .
    However 'fraid me ole Geezer plenty do still use older their classics for outdoor work These two specifically were good enough for serious use when released .

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Not 3/4" Andrew , about 3/4 the size of Trevs, so yes about 2 inches........The main factor with the old guns is how they have been treated, I know mine was bought by a dealer / collector about 40 + years ago and carefully stored, and then after he passed a friend bought it, and sold it to me without shooting it as he saw it whilst bidding for a Baker rifle I recall. The bore was full of cosmoline type hard grease and it had the original springs, just the washer needed doing as had gone really soft due to being soaked in oil.

I have no idea why it was not used all this time, the dealer had one or two only air rifles in his private small collection , all the other stuff was classic powder, so maybe a personal reason or memory made him buy the Sporting all that time ago

https://www.flickr.com/photos/312284...-rGp25a-nxDpXV

ATB, Ed

Thanks Ed. I understand better now but, nonetheless, it is impressive work at 50yds.

There are, still, some good examples to be found. I found a first class example at Kempton two or three years ago, which had been in the hands of a collector for sometime and had hardly been used. I was surprised it had not been snapped up and when I phoned him a day or two later, was able to buy it for £300 - the price he had offered it at, during the event. One could tell, from its condition, that it had been well looked after.

Whilst one can obtain far better performance, in terms of accuracy and trigger (although I like the trigger on the BSA Standard), this is not the point. The point is to use a class of rifle over or close to 100 years old, with open sights. This provides infinite satisfaction.

Kind rgds
    A

Marksman .22 are back in production, according to my RFD who threw in a pack recently with the Airsporter Mk2 I just bought.
    John Knibbs International on the label £8.95.
    I have not yet tried them against my old stock pellets.

Quote Originally Posted by Byronic View Post
    Marksman .22 are back in production, according to my RFD who threw in a pack recently with the Airsporter Mk2 I just bought.
    John Knibbs International on the label £8.95.
    I have not yet tried them against my old stock pellets.
    Mentioned the Knibbs labelled remade 5.6mm Markman on here a while back. Some people here suggested I might be wrong they were being made.
    Can't say I've been overly impressed now I've worked thru a couple of boxes with my oldies.

ATB

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

I sent for some of the Power Force pellets that DM80 recommended and they work very well in my .22/5.6mm Haenel 302. The 16grn Maxima roundheads were the best but the Wadcutters were almost as good for accuracy but well behind in energy and extreme spread.
    I will try them in my Airsporter very soon as I can't hit a barn door with it as things stand.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Retracted_Yeti View Post
    Those are Bisley Wasp's would make a nice backstop.

Cheers.

Roy.
    Have you actually tried them Roy?... They are actually pretty good.