Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
This!

There is a slightly obsessive forums thing about 5.5 v 5.6.

Reality is that many/some “5.5” pellets work fine in “5.6” barrels. And, in the old days, 5.6 in 5.5.

There is an issue with older bigger barrels, and it can be a bit hard to find a pellet that works best. But it is neither impossible nor the massive challenge that some think.

And, let’s face it, someone using a .22” Webley Mk3 or BSA Airsporter these days is hardly likely to be using it as a serious hunting or competition tool.
I did lots of tests in my 1911 BSA .22 I used for HFT and the Quigley comps. Defiant and Wasps were good out to 40 yars or so, but at 80 yards the H+N FTT in 5.54 I had at the time were by far the best with no flyers. I had a 45 yard indoor range at a warehouse where I work, and shooting from a rest the 1911 gun could match my little used MK1 HW 80 in group size, with the sights actually being better for my eyes than the 80 broad foresight.

I did a quick comparison with another .177 BSA vs a TX in an awkward setting, but just shows how well a well preserved bored oldie can perform......I used this gun in a HFT comp up at Rivi once and was the only non scoped gun, and did not come last!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/312284...57625297485090

Everone should try some long range open sight practise, it is quite eye opening what a sub 12 pound rifle can do with careful aim and trigger control, especially with apeture sights .scopes make people lazy

ATB, Ed