Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5.6 pellets

5.6 pellets

So I'm finally getting to the end of my original 5.6mm Eley Wasps which I use in mr BSA Airsporter. Well my question is what are you guys using as an alternative?? Cheers

I'm finding superdomes the most suitable for my BSAs but beaten by the old Marksman, of which I still have a good supply.
    Superdomes seem to suit a lot of Webley pistols as well

I still have some old Eley Wasp but I have found that S.domes are very slightly better in accuracy in my BSA Standards and Webley Mk3s. There is a slight power loss but only in the region of around 0.3ft/lbs compared with Wasp.

H&N were going to produce a 5.6mm for the UK market. I was in touch with them a year or two ago and they had taken on the machinery from one of the 5.6mm pellet makers - I seem to recall it was Vintage Defiant. I provided a report a year or so ago, for the site, on the matter. I do not know where they are now.

Rgds
    A

Thanks guys👍

If you measure H&N FTT 5.53 as ii have most are 5.6mm :-)
    the Bolton wanderer who wandered to London [lost at the time]

I've found SD's as good as anything.

I have tried various, as mentioned the SD's were best in my classic BSA's. Some new Wasps were OK, but, not very consistent from the same tin with a few fliers too.

Quote Originally Posted by reyn12 View Post
    So I'm finally getting to the end of my original 5.6mm Eley Wasps which I use in mr BSA Airsporter. Well my question is what are you guys using as an alternative?? Cheers
    Theres an interesting article that i came across online from the USA. Hardairmagazine measured and weighed a full tin of H&N FTT 5.3headed pellets - .22,s
    Of the 503! pellets in the tin most were 5.55mm plus and quite a lot 5.6mm. I bought a digital vernier caliper and did the same tests myself.
    They were 100% correct in their findings.
    Kev

Don't know if this is any good to you - appears to have a small mountain of Wasp in both head sizes, along with a lot of other .22 pellet

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...69934848%22%7D

My Mercury S likes the aforementioned Superdomes and H&N Excite Hammer.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Kloppville- 10,533 miles from Lake Mulwala.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipper View Post
    Don't know if this is any good to you - appears to have a small mountain of Wasp in both head sizes, along with a lot of other .22 pellet

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...69934848%22%7D
    Those are Bisley Wasp's would make a nice backstop.

Cheers.

Roy.
    If it moves.....shoot it!..If it don't move.....shoot it in case it tries to!!!
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!

You can get the FTT in 5.55mm too.

Quote Originally Posted by kev.f View Post
    If you measure H&N FTT 5.53 as ii have most are 5.6mm :-)

Quote Originally Posted by gary_c_ham View Post
    You can get the FTT in 5.55mm too.
    To be honest trying not to make it an issue anymore.I used to think it was important but now less so. done some pellet testing today in the backyard and out of the 7 types of pellets i tried out RWS superdomes came out on top,and none of them were anywhere near 5.6.......

Quote Originally Posted by kev.f View Post
    To be honest trying not to make it an issue anymore.I used to think it was important but now less so. done some pellet testing today in the backyard and out of the 7 types of pellets i tried out RWS superdomes came out on top,and none of them were anywhere near 5.6.......
    This!

There is a slightly obsessive forums thing about 5.5 v 5.6.

Reality is that many/some “5.5” pellets work fine in “5.6” barrels. And, in the old days, 5.6 in 5.5.

There is an issue with older bigger barrels, and it can be a bit hard to find a pellet that works best. But it is neither impossible nor the massive challenge that some think.

And, let’s face it, someone using a .22” Webley Mk3 or BSA Airsporter these days is hardly likely to be using it as a serious hunting or competition tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Retracted_Yeti View Post
    Those are Bisley Wasp's would make a nice backstop.

Cheers.

Roy.
    I guess that's a no then.... Having kept myself pure all these years and stuck to .177 (with a brief, but tempestuous and expensive affair with .20, the 'other' calibre) I have never used .22