Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuners! Is this, er, very wrong?

Tuners! Is this, er, very wrong?

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2021...er-lgv-part-2/

I am generally a big fan of Tom G’s, but, seriously, taming a nasty shot cycle by shoving in so much grease that it reduces power by 35-40%? Is that even possible, or is something else maybe going on here?

Is it the famous 'tune in a tube'?
    Reducing power by that much without any reduction in cocking effort isn't 'tuning'.
    Reminds me of the California spec corvette stingrays. 5.7 litres of American V8 pumping out a massive 170hp

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters

***This post has been deleted due to it being too obvious***

Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    Is it the famous 'tune in a tube'?
    Reducing power by that much without any reduction in cocking effort isn't 'tuning'.
    Reminds me of the California spec corvette stingrays. 5.7 litres of American V8 pumping out a massive 170hp
    Yes it is. I agree. How much grease do you need to take a third off the power? I mean...

And don’t get me started on muscle cars.... it’s another of my weird niche interests. (Not that a ‘vette is technically a muscle car).

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Yes it is. I agree. How much grease do you need to take a third off the power? I mean...

And don’t get me started on muscle cars.... it’s another of my weird niche interests. (Not that a ‘vette is technically a muscle car).
    Having said that, we go to the classic le mans quite a lot and the c2 racing spec vettes put on a real show. Very much enjoy them

Red rubber grease I believe was used to slow some down a little . It was thick and sticky. A night mare to remove too.

Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    Having said that, we go to the classic le mans quite a lot and the c2 racing spec vettes put on a real show. Very much enjoy them
    Pontiac Trans-Am SD-455 here, but many years ago, before I became sensible.

Late 60s 427 vette is a wonderful thing.

I'd take your 'vette, drop its V8 lump into an Opel Monza, and leave you with the rest of it.

Er, yes. I shuddered when I saw this.

And, yes, very, very wrong and TomG should, indeed, be giving himself a very sharp slap across his wrists!

Any self-respecting tuner would be going for properly fitting and finished internals and reducing the power to get that rifle into a sweet-shooting happy state.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Similar with tight guides and seals .

Oooooh . It feels much calmer afterwards , and now it dont twang . .......clowns !

The American tune a few years back was to stick in the biggest spring that you can find and lots of the thickest grease available. They probably destroyed a lot of scopes.

A stage 2 tune would be to wash out the insides with kerosene and fill the cylinder with expanding foam ;-)

premierpistol is offline Six out of seven dwarfs aren't happy
    I bet the rifle is very consistent too, I mean, all that grease in there must keep it fuels up to diesel for good... plus it will probably stop the LGV's parts from wearing themselves out

I had a S400 dropped off for service a long time back, the guy had "had a go" himself and said he tried to lube the hammer rail. after I pulled out around 4oz of thick grease from the hammer and spring. it shot great again

S'pose we all have to learn somewhere

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    How is this any different to any other 'tuner' who takes a full power rifle and de-tunes it to 10 ft/lbs to get it shooting properly, yet you see this all the time. .

Most UK tuners would take it apart and put in a smaller spring. It is a better method long term than putting in something that will absorb a lot of energy from the larger spring.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    I remember years ago somebody on here saying this was a SFS stage 1 tune.
    Master Debater