Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
I've just started work on a couple of BSA Meteor MkIV and a few Scorpion pistols. They have obviously not been used for years and the pistons/buffer washers are stuck solid.
I've always struggled with this type of job and have a sample of each stood up in a corner. One has the barrel and air chamber full of Isoprop. and the other Acetone. They have been like that for 2 days and still nothing is moving.

Is there any chemical I can obtain that will free off or dissolve the awful stuff that BSA make the bits out of.
I have removed similar stuck pistons on other guns by making wedge bolts but I son't want to do that with the BSAs because of their flimsy folded construction

Advice please?
Hi, the Acetone works for me, but you have to put pressure on the piston as well I have found.....In the last Mercury I did I would sit and hold the barrel as hard as I felt safe to try and get things moving.....plus are you putting in through the transfer, or are you muzzle down and putting in the cocking slot, as obviously the latter gets to the buffer without the piston washer getting in the way!

So try muzzle down, good dollop of acetone, leave 1 hour then apply pressure / repeat worked for me, took maybe a full day whilst out in the garden aqnd just going back to the gun every so often, bit messy but the feeling when it "gives" is great

ATB, Ed