Look, the Rapid was a hell of a rifle in its day.

Its very simple and arguably unrefined design and mechanics have two sides to that particular coin. Being so simple is a good thing iro home service and upgrades especially if you want to go FAC. However, its old design and simplicity also really show up when compared to many rifles, the HW100 being a good example. Now with the likes of modular multi-reg, switch barrels in sub and FAC, even the 100 looks a bit dated iro flexibility if nothing else.

Theoben did a great rifle in its day. The various models upgrades to my eyes were just visually the same door with new paint on. I hated the springers and the gas ram was just plain nastiness concentrated.

Ben produced a lot of spin even the conservatives could barely keep up with. The customer support was indifferent most of the time with the unfortunate likelihood of chatting to frosty knickers as she was affectionately know.

I never had a particularly good time whenever I spoke to them. It was always hard work and required persistence on your part.

Bottom line, the business went bankrupt and the reincarnated companies had similar difficulties. Some phoenix do not reignite.

The market is always changing and Theoben and its bailed out revisions never changed enough to satisfy the current customer base. They just didn't listen or evolve. they ignored the competition and that's ALWAYS a huge huge mistake.

The guns ARE solid. They ARE agricultural. I still have one but would I sell it in favour of an Imact M3 Sniper switch barrel..... Well of course would. I am not stoopid

It took Theoben YEARS to even get a half decent trigger on their guns - Mk 4 iirc unless you count the Anschutz trigger they bought in.. I had a Rapid 17 in a gorgeous Gary Cane maple FT stock but the "tuned" FT match grade trigger was a Gamo for goodness sake. Compared to a current HW100 out of the box, it was a polished turd.

I get why people love them. But its in the same way people love a Morris Minor or a triumph Spitfire. In todays environment, they are just still agricultural. That is both their appeal and their acheilia's heel.