Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BSA R10 or HW100?

Good Theoben, better than both!!!
    VAYA CON DIOS

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    11mm for HW and 13mm for the R10

If you go BSA, then either use their mounts, BKLs, or a mount designed for a 13mm rail, the 11mm versions will always through your aim out further down the line, it's pointless to use something from day one you know is the wrong thing for the job - but some people do
    Thank you.....very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by gsxrman View Post
    Good Theoben, better than both!!!
    The best option.

!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    You may have miss understood

Your S200 has an 11mm dovetail, but a BSA R10 has a 13mm dovetail, so you need different mounts for it or they do not align correctly, which unfortunately many people don't realise

Nasty business

I have no knowledge of the modern BSA R10, but had a very early model which was shocking, it was like a reverse engineered eastern copy of the Theoben Rapid it was trying to compete with, it burst bottle seals, magazines were fiddly and marked pellets, trigger was crude, consistency was shocking, barrel was pellet fussy...... took it back after less than a month

HW100 has sold in droves, so any reports of leaks, power issues and other niggles really has to be offset against the number of rifles out there, and it at least would not appear to suffer from very basic failings like the old R10 I had

Thank you for all the comments I'm still no wiser

Both are potentially excellent guns.

The R10 has bigger capacity. The Mk1 had huge issues and lthe Mk2 resolved these to a reasonable degree.

The HW100 mechanically is a smoother operater and does not have a mag that projects above the rail. Probably the best mag sytem when it launched and still the best imho.

The 100 benefits from an alloy cylinder and the ratworks tune has transformed my 100 beyond recognition.

I have always fancied giving the R10 a go but I dontvsee the point of buying a rifle in the knowledge you will have to blue print it to make it shoot right. I will however probably look at a 2nd hand tuned R10.

If you ignore the personal preferances, you need to shoulder both and see how the fit of both works for you

Not enough guns have an adj. cheek and but and these teo fearures makeca hige difference to gun fit.

Then the jobs you want them to do.

If you go for the 100, get an eaglevision dove tail to piccy slimline converter. Game changing and allows easy swapping of optics if thats required.

The clincher for me is the 100s mags and mag system. Its just soooo good.

I have a Rapid too. I find the rapid very agricultural. Tough yes but definitely very agricultural.

Triggers. 100 is outstanding out of the box. ThecR10s Inhave shot have been fine and the worst.... especially in older models, the rapid.

TBH, the biggest immediate decision should be which fits you better if you are considering both as contenders.

If ypu ratwork, the 100 changes totally re shotcount and an internal bottle offers better protection imho. That said, I have no issues with buddy bottles but bipod mounting is a fly in the ointment for me
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerphil View Post
    They are very nice Neil........I think nicer to look at than HW100 but what about the reliability? I heard a few problems with the regulator on R10
    A nice R10 knocks the HW100 into touch (only my opinion).
    Very few HW100 are faulty, the aftersales service from hull cartridge is phenominal.

It is a very difficult decision when your dealing with this quality of rifle.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    Both are potentially excellent guns.

The R10 has bigger capacity. The Mk1 had huge issues and lthe Mk2 resolved these to a reasonable degree.

The HW100 mechanically is a smoother operater and does not have a mag that projects above the rail. Probably the best mag sytem when it launched and still the best imho.

The 100 benefits from an alloy cylinder and the ratworks tune has transformed my 100 beyond recognition.

I have always fancied giving the R10 a go but I dontvsee the point of buying a rifle in the knowledge you will have to blue print it to make it shoot right. I will however probably look at a 2nd hand tuned R10.

If you ignore the personal preferances, you need to shoulder both and see how the fit of both works for you

Not enough guns have an adj. cheek and but and these teo fearures makeca hige difference to gun fit.

Then the jobs you want them to do.

If you go for the 100, get an eaglevision dove tail to piccy slimline converter. Game changing and allows easy swapping of optics if thats required.

The clincher for me is the 100s mags and mag system. Its just soooo good.

I have a Rapid too. I find the rapid very agricultural. Tough yes but definitely very agricultural.

Triggers. 100 is outstanding out of the box. ThecR10s Inhave shot have been fine and the worst.... especially in older models, the rapid.

TBH, the biggest immediate decision should be which fits you better if you are considering both as contenders.

If ypu ratwork, the 100 changes totally re shotcount and an internal bottle offers better protection imho. That said, I have no issues with buddy bottles but bipod mounting is a fly in the ointment for me
    I don't think think you can describe a good Rapid as "Agricultural", you would never plough a field with one!!!
    £5-600 to buy second hand and then have to fettle them?
    Nah, a good Rapid will take the p**s out of both in every department.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mg13tngl6h..._1493.jpg?dl=0

My tractor, with Ben Taylor Reg and tickled Gold Medal Trigger.
    VAYA CON DIOS

Quote Originally Posted by gsxrman View Post
    I don't think think you can describe a good Rapid as "Agricultural", you would never plough a field with one!!!
    £5-600 to buy second hand and then have to fettle them?
    Nah, a good Rapid will take the p**s out of both in every department.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mg13tngl6h..._1493.jpg?dl=0

My tractor, with Ben Taylor Reg and tickled Gold Medal Trigger.
    The rapid is agricultural. Its the skoda of air rifles.
    Its the simplicity that makes it popular. Tough sure. Refined .... stroll on. The triggers were shit for years and the slight adaptaions were puffed up with smoke and mirrors.
    To get a good rapid, it will have to be a worked rapid.
    They are no match for their current peers. Its the lego brick construction and unsophisticated design that makes them players. They need to be fettled and are good FAC upgrades.
    How many reincarnations and going to the walls did the company take. The buyers spoke and walked.
    They are competent if fettled. But skoda at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    The rapid is agricultural. Its the skoda of air rifles.
    Its the simplicity that makes it popular. Tough sure. Refined .... stroll on. The triggers were shit for years and the slight adaptaions were puffed up with smoke and mirrors.
    To get a good rapid, it will have to be a worked rapid.
    They are no match for their current peers. Its the lego brick construction and unsophisticated design that makes them players. They need to be fettled and are good FAC upgrades.
    How many reincarnations and going to the walls did the company take. The buyers spoke and walked.
    They are competent if fettled. But skoda at best.
    Behave, sounds like nerve has been struck there.
    Skodas are well built and refined cars now as they share so much with Seat, VW and Audi.
    No match for its peers, in what way, fantastic shot count, twice as reliable, as accurate as almost anything on the market today.
    Your name sake the Steyr, Daystate, BSA etc all made out of toffee that breaks way too often, unlike very well built Rapid.
    HWs are well made but too front heavy and have no balance and the ugliest stocks ever. My Rapid is perfectly balance, I can almost hold it and shoot it one handed.
    The Rapid in the link avove is 25-26 year old, never faulted once, had two services in its life, it has had ben Taylor install a reg and fettle the trigger but that is it.
    The only thing it "cultivates" is lots of really tight groups.
    Same rifle has counted for tons of vermin over the years and has regurlarly embarrassed a lot of big names in the world of FT & HFT.
    Of course I can only speak from my own experience, which with my Rapid has been a very good one.
    VAYA CON DIOS

Nope. My Rapid is still a shovel.

Honestly.....I've never shot a decent BSA including the R10 but i have shot plenty of HW100s that were great. I shoot Steyrs for comps but my hunting gun has been and still is the hw100.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

I really don’t understand the love for the rapid.
    Even a tuned mk2 is can’t hold a candle to a 100 unless weird fitting scope mounts, slip on silencers, gauge-less cylinders and crap magazines are your thing. They are archaic and overrated and best viewed through rose tinted spectacles.

Far Better off getting a good used 100 and buying an alloy cylinder from a reputable seller to improve the balance and increase the shot count.

I'm a novice with hugely limited experience of pcp rifles. I bought an HW100 a couple of months ago and then more recently a daystate huntsman revere. The HW100 is a superb gun, very accurate and mechanically sound. It's a "machine". I, as a novice would recommend one, it makes me look pretty good at up to 40 yards!. (The daystate is beautful but I'm not as good with it yet).