Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BSA R10 or HW100?

Look, the Rapid was a hell of a rifle in its day.

Its very simple and arguably unrefined design and mechanics have two sides to that particular coin. Being so simple is a good thing iro home service and upgrades especially if you want to go FAC. However, its old design and simplicity also really show up when compared to many rifles, the HW100 being a good example. Now with the likes of modular multi-reg, switch barrels in sub and FAC, even the 100 looks a bit dated iro flexibility if nothing else.

Theoben did a great rifle in its day. The various models upgrades to my eyes were just visually the same door with new paint on. I hated the springers and the gas ram was just plain nastiness concentrated.

Ben produced a lot of spin even the conservatives could barely keep up with. The customer support was indifferent most of the time with the unfortunate likelihood of chatting to frosty knickers as she was affectionately know.

I never had a particularly good time whenever I spoke to them. It was always hard work and required persistence on your part.

Bottom line, the business went bankrupt and the reincarnated companies had similar difficulties. Some phoenix do not reignite.

The market is always changing and Theoben and its bailed out revisions never changed enough to satisfy the current customer base. They just didn't listen or evolve. they ignored the competition and that's ALWAYS a huge huge mistake.

The guns ARE solid. They ARE agricultural. I still have one but would I sell it in favour of an Imact M3 Sniper switch barrel..... Well of course would. I am not stoopid

It took Theoben YEARS to even get a half decent trigger on their guns - Mk 4 iirc unless you count the Anschutz trigger they bought in.. I had a Rapid 17 in a gorgeous Gary Cane maple FT stock but the "tuned" FT match grade trigger was a Gamo for goodness sake. Compared to a current HW100 out of the box, it was a polished turd.

I get why people love them. But its in the same way people love a Morris Minor or a triumph Spitfire. In todays environment, they are just still agricultural. That is both their appeal and their acheilia's heel.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

^^^This^^^
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Its like a lot of things really, it is a matter of opinion and personel preference.
    I did buy a Mark 1 .22 purely for hunting and never really liked it, nothing wrong with it I just prefered to shoot my 17FT.
    Like I say you need a good one, and everyone who has shot mine has loved it.
    Rapids changed the game, and that is why there are so many "copies" of the style.
    I get 300-350 useable shots out of mine, which is generally a fill it at home and forget about shot count, and I used to go through a box and half of Premiers a month.
    Accuracy is derived from a consistent power plant and a really good barrel, and good pellets, mine delivers single figure variation coupled with Anshultz match grade barrel, very very accurate. As accurate as anything else I have shot.
    I have never really followed the "fashion" of rifles but rather what actually works, manufacturers sponsor the top names in the shooting world so their rifles look good and therefore sell more to the not so fortunate whether that be Daystate, Air Arma or Steyr, the top shooters would win with any of the good kit out there.
    I fancied a one off special FT Rifle, so bought a Ripley XL1, with Paul Wilson Walnut and Rosewood stock and mounted a Leopold 35x Bench Rest Side Wheel scope on it, and although it felt silky smooth to use and defo brought out the snob in me, but I still prefered the 17FT.
    The 17FT could score the same on FT, but better the Ripley at HFT and sillouettes.
    It is now 25-26 year old, had 2x services in its life, never broke, still using the original 3 magazines, and only cleaned the barrel a hand full of times.
    Shooting the NEFTA is a whole bunch of ex and reigning worlds and european champs, who have all been beaten by a Rapid 17FT on several occasions, which according to the thread should not happen, but it has and Mr ChrisC also knows this. (Top elite shooter by the way, big respect)
    Sorry for the ramble.
    VAYA CON DIOS