Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Abas Major.

Abas Major.

Hello all. I am considering adding a Abas Major pistol to the collection in the near future. Anyone care to give an opinion on what they are like to actually use, trigger/sights etc.

Fun/
    Go on, you won't regret it. Treat yourself to a bit of airgunning history.

Unframed Dave is online now World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    I purchased one today, will let you know tomorrow.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Looking forward to hearing about it Mr Dave. Would it be rude of me to ask what you paid for it. I completely understand if you would rather not say though.

Unframed Dave is online now World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    IMG_20210503_073216.jpg

I've messaged you about the price.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Thanks for reply Dave. Look forward to hearing about your Abas. Reason I ask about what they are like to use is because I like to use what I have. Earlier this year I purchased a Accles and Shelvoke Warrior pistol, what a disappointment to shoot that was.

I have owned two of these pistols over the years and despite their excellent external condition, I could not get on with either of them. I was probably unlucky, so please don't let me put you off. In fact, if anyone has carried out some short range testing, I'd be intrigued to see how well these classics can perform.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Hello John. Are you talking about the Abas or the Warrior I mentioned?

Not good news, cocking effort is high. If you struggle with your wrists, don't do it.

Mine had insufficient power to push the pellet out. I had to remove the tap, (careful, there's a pingfu¢kit in there) to remove two pellets that weren't mine. Obviously not a new problem.

Needs further investigation, but assume seal has gone.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Stock Detective View Post
    Hello John. Are you talking about the Abas or the Warrior I mentioned?
    The Abas.

I've also owned several Warriors and they are also not as comfortable to shoot as a Webley when the two are compared. However, I recently sold one that was the sweetest shooting Warrior I have ever handled, so clearly some shoot better than others.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

It all goes to show why Webley were the prominent pistol down the years. Must say my favourite out of all my Webley Pistols is a .177 mk2 Target model. Shoots lovely and brilliantly accurate.

The Abasmajor is the closest I have come to in terms of compact and reasonably powerful performance to the Webley pistols it competed against. The tap loading is a nice alternative and the pellet sizer incorporated into the cocking lever is a nice touch of detail.
    The downside is price as due to its relative rarity expect to pay £600-£800 for a nice example with the first model being the most desirable.
    So, from a collecting viewpoint it's a nice addition, but from a shooting comparison the Webley is still a clear winner in my eyes anyway.
    Brian

Must add that my post war Acvoke is a good shooter and the trigger is better than my mk2 target and my Senior.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    I remember John Atkins doing a review in the airgunner magazine shooting the Abas Major, and him saying how accurate it was, which made me want to buy one, which l did. and l also liked the look of it as well. and it is still my favourite pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Stock Detective View Post
    Thanks for reply Dave. Look forward to hearing about your Abas. Reason I ask about what they are like to use is because I like to use what I have. Earlier this year I purchased a Accles and Shelvoke Warrior pistol, what a disappointment to shoot that was.
    I cant understand that at all , I shoot my Warrior and find it both powerful and accurate .... within my parameters of course ... so 3 inch groups at 7 yds . Which is good enough for me .