Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Abas Major.

As JM replied, there are no guarantees that you will get on with the Abas Major as is the case with many other early spring powered pistols. The final thing I would say is that if things such as handling and accuracy during regular use are important to you, the Abas Major probably isn't the best choice. Mine represents the nearest I've come to the Webley in terms of a reasonably powerful and compact air pistol, but I would always choose a Webley if I were to shoot it every week. The initial outlay to purchase an Abas Major is obviously going to be quite high and spares are not readily available as they are with other classic air pistols. So, it really depends on whether you want to own a rare classic British spring powered air pistol for that alone or if you might prefer something less rare that can be used without fear of breaking or damaging anything that cannot be so easily replaced.

Brian

Thanks to everyone for all the varied and useful information. I think Abasmajor has hit the nail on the head. For me a vintage gun be it pistol or rifle must be eminently usable. So might hang on for that prevents war straight grip Senior I am looking for. Tim Dyson is keeping a look out for me, top management is Tim. Always a pleasure to do business with, my favourite dealer.

Sorry, mistake, predictive spelling for you. Should have read Pre-war.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Stock Detective View Post
    Thanks John. Wish I could get to Kempton but it just too far. I travel everywhere by small capacity motorcycle,(Done all the big bikes. Too heavy for me now) my local arms fair is always Birmingham. Hope there will be one this year.
    If this is any help to you on prices, l sold one of mine for £525 at Kempton in 2018, it was in excellent condition. but l think prices have gone up a bit now.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    If this is any help to you on prices, l sold one of mine for £525 at Kempton in 2018, it was in excellent condition. but l think prices have gone up a bit now.
    Hello Micky,

At today's prices, I would estimate a reasonable Abas Major at £500-£700 for a private sale with the usual associated additional premium if purchased from a dealer.
    Having said that, it's also been my experience that although these rarer items have a smaller market, there are always a few more serious collectors out there who are not put off by the price given the few occasions these things appear on the market.
    One of those pistols that's nice to have in the collection for occasional use, but certainly not something I would want to shoot on a regular basis.

Brian

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hello Micky,

At today's prices, I would estimate a reasonable Abas Major at £500-£700 for a private sale with the usual associated additional premium if purchased from a dealer.
    Having said that, it's also been my experience that although these rarer items have a smaller market, there are always a few more serious collectors out there who are not put off by the price given the few occasions these things appear on the market.
    One of those pistols that's nice to have in the collection for occasional use, but certainly not something I would want to shoot on a regular basis.

Brian
    Hi Brian, l had nothing to go on with the pricing of mine at the time. apart from some that had been sold at auction. some guns seem to be in demand at certain times and the prices just seem to shoot up, like the Tell3 pistols in todays market.