Thread: Dating a webley mk3

Dating a webley mk3

Hi all, I'm trying to roughly date a webley mk3?
    It has A serial number and only 4 numbers, however it has a Z stamped above the serial numbers?
    Question is, is the z prefix, an inspectors stamp? Or as if read somewhere, a sign that it has a rifled barrel for export?
    For example in south Africa , an airgun needs to be smooth bored, or if it is rifled it has to go on licence .
    Cheers

Hi I have an A 5564 with a Z above ,in .177. this has pins instead of screws for the trigger and Sears..straight scope ramp...it's in a first model stock no 2*** ,
    I remember reading in a earlier post they did two runs of A prefix late sixties then early seventies ..and not sure but the seventies where all in 22
    Hopefully someone with a lot more knowledge will be along soon
    Cheers ian

Steviebee, Hi, can you PM me your cal; and serial number; I can date it for you.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by steviebee View Post
    Hi all, I'm trying to roughly date a webley mk3?
    It has A serial number and only 4 numbers, however it has a Z stamped above the serial numbers?
    Question is, is the z prefix, an inspectors stamp? Or as if read somewhere, a sign that it has a rifled barrel for export?
    For example in south Africa , an airgun needs to be smooth bored, or if it is rifled it has to go on licence .
    Cheers

Helm, hi your MkIII in .177". Made week ending 10/4/1971; they were made in blocks of ten; yours is block 3 of 9 that week. Also it was made by Joe, the leading hand on the section. The Z is a little odd as he usually used a J for I/D, because there was also a Jim that worked on the section, but only occasionaly, so he had no signature letter.

Quote Originally Posted by Helm View Post
    Hi I have an A 5564 with a Z above ,in .177. this has pins instead of screws for the trigger and Sears..straight scope ramp...it's in a first model stock no 2*** ,
    I remember reading in a earlier post they did two runs of A prefix late sixties then early seventies ..and not sure but the seventies where all in 22
    Hopefully someone with a lot more knowledge will be along soon
    Cheers ian

Hi Bellringer
    Thanks very much for the info
    Cheers ian