Thread: Valuations please. Webley’s and BSA’s

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Valuations please. Webley’s and BSA’s

Hi Guys,
    I’ve been offered some of all of a collection of vintage air rifles, but the seller has little idea of a fair price. I’ve come to you for your advice.
    He has the following, all in fair condition. All original. Stocks re-finished but the actions have been powder coated or painted black. Sorry, I have no photo’s to post. Just looking for a conservative estimate.

Webley & Scott Vulcan. .177, SN 903142
    Webley & Scott Stingray. .22 SN 925570
    Webley & Scott Hawke mk2. .22, SN 32850
    BSA Cadet .177, SN B20872
    BSA Cadet Major .177 SN CA57142
    BSA Air Sporter mk1, .22, SN 5478
    Weirauch hw77 mk1, .22, SN 1012066
    Original Model 35, .22, no serial number.

Appreciate your help.

Finners.
    Ripley AR5S, EV2 Mk2, S400C, HW98, Walther LGU, Walther LGV Comp-Ultra & Prosports x2..... but can only shoot one at a time..!!

Rifles

Aghh, painted and powder coated. Stocks refinished. Sound like projects so not worth a great deal. I'd think £50 each for the Webleys tops from the description. Photos may assist. If they're finished as described then theres the question of whats inside?
    Always on the look out for Brum / Venom - Webley Longbow / Tommie rifles and parts.

Quote Originally Posted by finners View Post
    Hi Guys,
    All original. Stocks re-finished but the actions have been powder coated or painted black.
    Those two statements don't really go together when it comes to collectable airguns, or anything else really.

In my view, they only have a 'shootable' or 'parts' value as the refinishing and painting will have diminished any 'collectable' value.

I'm sure some one will come along and put a value against them, but without any photos it can only be a rough guide.

Not trying to put a downer on your friends guns, but originality is key in getting a good price for a collectable airgun or even a modern shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Those two statements don't really go together when it comes to collectable airguns, or anything else really.

In my view, they only have a 'shootable' or 'parts' value as the refinishing and painting will have diminished any 'collectable' value.

I'm sure some one will come along and put a value against them, but without any photos it can only be a rough guide.

Not trying to put a downer on your friends guns, but originality is key in getting a good price for a collectable airgun or even a modern shooter.
    Thanks, appreciate your sentiment. I told him the same... originality is key to collectors. All his guns were picked up as projects. To be fair, he replaces worn parts with spares from Knibbs or Chambers. Mechanically they are sound. Internals will be good I’d guess.
    I’m now thinking to bid him around £50 each, but I want it to be a fair price.... hence seeking guidance from the guys that can do just that.
    Ripley AR5S, EV2 Mk2, S400C, HW98, Walther LGU, Walther LGV Comp-Ultra & Prosports x2..... but can only shoot one at a time..!!

Evidently they are not all in fair condition or original and the work has devalued them in the eyes of collectors. if they are good shooters and complete and basically sound;

BSA cadet = £65
    BSA cadet major =£80
    Airsporter Mk1 = £125

The Stingray and 77 could make nice practical hunting/barn/target guns, but not for more than £100.

The more classic stuff, meh. Sorry.

I have to agree with the thoughts offered so far. The only one that would appeal to me is the HW77, depending on how well it has been refinished I reckon it is worth £100-125 if it works/shoots fine.
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

£100 plus for the 77 easy sight unseen.

micky2 is online now The collector formerly known as micky
    Hi Guys,
    I’ve been offered some of all of a collection of vintage air rifles, but the seller has little idea of a fair price. I’ve come to you for your advice.
    He has the following, all in fair condition. All original. Stocks re-finished but the actions have been powder coated or painted black. Sorry, I have no photo’s to post. Just looking for a conservative estimate.

Appreciate your help.

Finners.
    Do they all have there original sights as that will make a difference to the prices.

Hi Guys,

Appreciate your help.

Finners.
    Surely if the actions had been powder coated or painted, the serial numbers would have been obscured?

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    surely if the actions had been powder coated or painted, the serial numbers would have been obscured?
    most are quite heavy/deep stamped apart from the original,numbers are small and fine,hence no numbers given

Thanks Guys.

I thought I’d get a good response to my questions, and I wasn’t disappointed.
    Valuations vary a little, but I’ve now got a better idea.
    These are all project rifles. The owner is not a collector, more an enthusiast who likes to bring old classics to life again.

Thanks again for your input. It’s what this forum is all about.

Regards,
    Finners.