Thread: BSA Airsporter in .22

East Hanningfield, near Chelmsford, Essex

BSA Airsporter in .22

Comments and opinions please, The Best BSA Airsporter Mark in .22 and why please. I am looking to buy one as I have always liked the look and feel of these.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by schony View Post
    Comments and opinions please, The Best BSA Airsporter Mark in .22 and why please. I am looking to buy one as I have always liked the look and feel of these.
    Thanks
    I’ll say mk6 due to them being cheaper to buy, and I had one lol 😂.

Seriously though nice rifles

East Hanningfield, near Chelmsford, Essex
    Quote Originally Posted by Waltherfan View Post
    I’ll say mk6 due to them being cheaper to buy, and I had one lol 😂.

Seriously though nice rifles
    Is that the rolling block model as that seems better than the tap

i sold one on here before xmas nice gun

Mmmm....The Airsporter, nice to look at, but, that is about it. I have still have a boxed 0.22 S with all cosmetics and tabs bought from JSR by post in 1983, probably only about 20 pellets through it, and also a RB Airsporter. I have never had the early Airsporter models that seem to have much more favour. For me, I much prefer the S model Mercury's I have. They maintain that Alpha Male purposeful air rifle look, feel and shoot just right. Unfortunately, the walnut stocks on the S models are nothing to write home about, as bland as can be, shame BSA did not get to grips with this as the S models would have become super Alpha Males. The Challengers I have, one of which is a carbine model, are also preferred to my Airsporter along with my 635 Magnum for a bit of fun. But, to top all these, for a bit of serious open sight pleasure at the range, my Superstars are the biz.

Have fun and keep safe....

I collect Airsporters and I think I own all the models from Mk1 to Mk6 and a late Mk2 'S' Airsporter , but it depends what you want to do with it.

For practicality if you can find one is the RB2 models, but they are getting harder to find in good condition.. Otherwise a MK2 with later two piece scope rails. Very few got anywhere near the legal limit by the way, although my Dads mk1 I used successfully shooting everything legal with in the 70's, turned out to only be 7ft/lbs when I checked it.

If you seriously want to hunt then buy a Pro sport or TX200 or HW77 preferably in .177. I compete in HFT occasionally with a Pro sport, and it is what the Airsporter should have been, the rest of the time I put my sensible head on and use a Steyr LG110.
    BASC

MK2, post 1965.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    MK2, post 1965.
    Ditto that; wish I had kept mine!
    May today be the best day of your life and all your tomorrows even better!!

Chippendale is offline Well stuff me, you live and learn.
    MK1, but i'm biased and I like all the Airsporters, in saying that I sold two at Kempton to fund a Bell Target gun, and I'm beginning to regret it all rerady

Chippendale (with clothes on)

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    MK2, post 1965.

I'd agree with that. not the most accurate guns but really ergonomic and comfortable to use. Post MkII , quality went downhill really fast and when you get to the Mk5 and 6 models, they are the Polski Fiats of the gun world

Depends what you want it for.
    I have 4 from 1958 to S 1986.
    Mk1s are collectable.
    Mk2s becoming so.
    Later models are cheaper build quality and to buy.
    S only worth considering if you are desperate for a walnut stock, the only difference but lots more money on average.