Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: hw 90 gas ram pros cons ?

Quote Originally Posted by alexall View Post
    Yikes, choosing a 95 over a 90. It's like jumping out the frying pan into the fire.

The 90 is in a class of it's own. I like them a lot for they are so easy to shoot well. Opinion, a fast shot cycle can be worded to be snappy and the what you cannot do to one is then described as boring. I have had one for years and loving the no maintenance. If you are a fettler and wants to tweak it every other weekend, then this really is a boring gun. You really leave it alone. The trigger is perfect fine and way better than the Theobens (shameful!!). All in all, the hw90 of old is worthy to have.

Some will insist on the joy of springers. It can have more character and will definitely fill hours upon hours of tinkering for being a grown up Meccano set. Machine parts and tweak to your heart content and if you don't like something or you feel inadequate, spend some more money on alternative kits and innards. I am in the camp of 'if it's not broken, don't fix it', but I know some insist on blue printing their springer to what they believe to the best.

I like my rammers and I currently have 2xhw90 and 5xTheobens. I rate the hw90's over the Theobens in overall handling. One hw90 is in .20 and the other in .25cal. Both shoots wonderfully and without fuss. Clean shooter and simple.

I also have 5xhw95's. Boy, each being very trying. Tried to set them up in different ways with various kits and they are still hold sensitive. I have now managed to get them all shooting about right but you are constantly reminded that you need to be on top form to eek out a string of one holers. The 95 will catch you out. At first, you may find the challenge of a 95 fun until it catches you out.

Agree with this,
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

I have an hw90 in 0. 22 it is a very well made, rather heavy with excellent reliability, consistency and accuracy. Firing cycle is fast, trigger is very good.
    It is tuned from the factory so to speak because the internals are all highly polished and the seals keep the running parts apart, so there is hardly any metal to metal contact in the critical areas.

well all sorted , got a hw 80 thanks for the imput bear
    Tempest .22, BSA Lightning(delux) .22 ,HW 80 K .22 Sako finn fire .22rf, Browning Buckmark 22rf , BSA 22 Hornet centre fire ,Winchester s/a mod 1400 12 bore, Winchester select light 12 bore J Manton hammer side bee side 12 bore and a 410 hushpower, BASC MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    well all sorted , got a hw 80 thanks for the imput bear
    Still a great choice, well done! Now you can start tinkering!
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    Now you can start tinkering!
    has to be done really...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

This thread makes me want to get a HW90.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

This is one of mine I have a few, this one is a cracker one of the most accurate airguns ive ever shot,

https://photos.app.goo.gl/g3VBZWpeq7aKRgph9

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by DM80 View Post
    This is one of mine I have a few, this one is a cracker one of the most accurate airguns ive ever shot,

Dave.
    Nice one Dave, when I have enquired with Custom Stock for a CS500 for a 90 they have said they don't do them but clearly they have at some point!
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

I have 3 x HW90s.
    One a .177, both others are .22.
    All nearly 30 years old so Mk1s.
    The .22s are smoother but still not quite in PH Dragon or Sharp Innova territory

But worlds ahead of my beloved on Airsporters Mk1 through to S Mk2 c.1985/6

Some of us love them - and hang on to the sweet shooting ones.
    How many of the less enjoyable examples have been "tuned" or otherwise messed around with?
    Last edited by Byronic; 08-05-2021 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Typos only.

well had the hw 80 k out again today , and seems it do like the rws superdomes , its the scope or me ,, think its the scope , but time will tell ,
    Tempest .22, BSA Lightning(delux) .22 ,HW 80 K .22 Sako finn fire .22rf, Browning Buckmark 22rf , BSA 22 Hornet centre fire ,Winchester s/a mod 1400 12 bore, Winchester select light 12 bore J Manton hammer side bee side 12 bore and a 410 hushpower, BASC MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post
    This thread makes me want to get a HW90.
    I sympathise. I definitely want a TB90 or Euro. Though I have wanted one for years.

Well ex ROYAL NAVY Gunner /Armourer ,Range officer ,,i ask , bit like measure twice cut once , if it go bang i have an idea to make it go proper bang , so will leave this now thanks for the replies, have an 80 k

The HW90 is a great gun, its accurate well made and shoots very smooth its way better than a standard HW80 and it's elite trigger unit is great to but needs to be set up correctly, ive owned a 90 for 20 years and never been serviced it just keeps shooting great so never really felt the need to dismantle it.

Dave.
    I aggree with you Dave, my early .22 doing 11.4fpe with the inertia weight removed is almost recoiless. The heavy CS stock helps. After a reseal 4years ago never dropped in power. It's got one of your mods on it mate, hope you are doing ok?

Dave.
    Nice. Very nice.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!