Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying private from distance

muzzie is offline Wants something a little...special

Buying private from distance

I live in Norfolk and have seen a pistol in Wales.
    What's the best way to pay, just in case something goes wrong. Someone told me PayPal will reimburse you if the goods don't show up, but seeing that this is an air pistol does this still apply??
    I've bought before on here and freeads and had no problems but I'm just a bit nervous on this one.
    Cheers
    This is the crisis I knew had to come, Distroying the balance Id kept.
    Turning around to the next set of lives, Wondering what will come next .

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    There is no "safe" way to pay, once the money goes out of your bank account that's it, and PayPal will not cover anything gun related, so you have no redress from them. If your worried - don't do it, or have a day out/night away with the Mrs and drop in and collect in person, I've done that a few times over the years

You can only do so much to mitigate problems, but remember, being a pistol it can be posted RM 1st class recorded and covered for it's value, it wont stop a scam, but it should not be an issue getting lost in the post if done properly.

Alternatively, if there is a forum member close by who is willing to act as a go between? just an option, there are plenty of people on here I would trust rather than a stranger

Good luck.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

urx is offline 2,602.00 GBP −10.00 (0.38%) at the close
    Paypal will not only not payout they will likely freeze your account as they specifically have an antigun stance (nobs) but its their platform so their rules
    There is very little you can do other than communication with the seller to try to guess if they are genuine or not
    Basic rule...if there is any doubt then there is no doubt....dont do it. I.e dont send money to a strnger that you arent prepared to lose
    Gun control means using both hands.

BACS transfer is a lot better these days - when you start the transfer the name you've been given is checked against the account holder's details, and if it doesn't match up then it alerts you.

Might not stop you being scammed, but you'll know for certain the actual name of the account holder, and that gives you a lot of leverage and power, as full ID has to be provided to set up an account.

Unhappy

Thanks for that...I'll give it a miss.
    Cheers

Use a well known sales platform the same as here or Gunstar and guntrader, at least you can contact people selling and do a few checks first, sellers have to give phone numbers and addresses before selling so you have some way of finding out where they are if it goes wrong.

If its anywhere near cf45 area I would be happy to help if I could, That's when I'm on my 4
    Days off,

Quote Originally Posted by madcarlos View Post
    If its anywhere near cf45 area I would be happy to help if I could, That's when I'm on my 4
    Days off,
    Pontypridd???..
    Cheers

bank transfer you will be fine

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post

You can only do so much to mitigate problems, but remember, being a pistol it can be posted RM 1st class recorded and covered for it's value.

James
    Sorry to correct you James.

But 1st class recorded, now called ‘signed for’ will only cover you for £50.

It can be sent ‘special delivery’ That will give you cover up to £500. Or up to a maximum of £2500 for a little extra.
    If parcel is under 2 kilo it’s a fantastic service. If over. Still good, but price doubles.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidresponse1 View Post
    bank transfer you will be fine
    Once the money leaves my account I have no come back if its a scam??

Antoni is offline There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
    If you write a cheque in favour of a particular name then only someone with a bank account in that name can bank it.

It is not easy to open a bank account with a false name.

Cheques are less used these days but I like them.
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

Quote Originally Posted by nickm marshall View Post

It can be sent ‘special delivery’ That will give you cover up to £500. Or up to a maximum of £2500 for a little extra.
    If parcel is under 2 kilo it’s a fantastic service. If over. Still good, but price doubles.
    And you also need correcting because as has been said on here several hundred times

There is no enhanced cover on guns, you get the basic level for the service only.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Quote Originally Posted by nickm marshall View Post

Sorry Nick, your quite right, my terminology was off

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    And you also need correcting because as has been said on here several hundred times

There is no enhanced cover on guns, you get the basic level for the service only.
    Can you give me the link to this please Steve, I also thought you could increase cover with RM (not PF) on this service, so I don't want to miss quote it in the future?

Thanks

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by muzzie View Post
    Pontypridd???..
    Cheers
    That's not far from me , Just woke after 12hr nights , If I can be of any help let me know ok, Any idea who the seller is , A chap on here had trouble with a bloke from pontypridd some years ago, Saying that I know of a couple of good sellers that way aswell,