Thread: Smelly Shooting Jackets

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Smelly Shooting Jackets

The RMTC club range is located in a cellar under a church hall and it usually benefits from being well heated and is a comfortable place to have a club range and is a pleasant place to shoot - especially since its "recent" upgrade and refit.

Since the Covid epidemic first struck us all, the club range the church and the church hall have all been locked-up and closed to everyone, so a lot of our equipment has remained safe but locked-up in our steel lockers inside the clubs cellar range.

For a year or so the church premises has been unoccupied and so the heating has been switched off and our club range has been cold (and a little damp).

Last week Bart49 was able to gain access to the club range and recovered a couple of our shooting jackets - but unfortunately they smell just like they have been locked in a cold damp steel container for the last 12 months....probably because they have been!

These jackets need to be made less smelly (preferably not smelly at all!).

The outside leather is not too bad, but the canvas linings are the parts that are holding the damp smell. At the moment my jacket is outside in the fresh air (and rain) with the canvas inner exposed most to the weather, but I doubt that will fix it and we probably need to give the canvass a good scrubbing before allowing it to dry and air slowly to prevent any damage to the outer leather body of the jacket.

If anyone has successfully washed a leather shooting jacket to rid it of any undesirable smells, please let us know what "products" you used so we can get ours ready in time for the RMTC club re-opening.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Bob,

I have used 'Woolite' detergent (Sainsburys & Tesco's used to stock this) to clean my leather & wool-felt Gehmann shooting glove.

I used the soak method, and that worked very well.

There are some posts on the Interweb about using Woolite for washing leather jackets (motor-cycle etc.), including the washing machine.

Have fun & a good weekend

regards

Russ

White vinegar is good for getting rid of smells in clothes

Quote Originally Posted by JB101 View Post
    White vinegar is good for getting rid of smells in clothes
    I may have seen some white vinegar lurking beside the washing machine - it could be that SWMBO already uses it as a laundry aid ?

I will "borrow" some and see how I get on with it........and then wash the jacket in Woolite perhaps to give it a real spring clean treat!

Many thanks,

Bob.

This is a "guess" suggestion but I have a feeling that some Dry Cleaners offer Ozone treatment for just such a purpose, usually to deodorise clothing and curtains etc when exposed to smoke from a fire or other source.

Vic Thompson.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Mould smell

Bob

We got given an expensive KT leather and canvas jacket for our loan fleet, it had been stored in a loft for years, I spent hours scrubbing it with soapy water and detergent, and slow dried it in the Norfolk breeze (read gale!), I did it several times, it came up stunningly spotless, and it also re stiffened the canvas, but I could never get rid of the mould smell, so if you succeed, would be glad to hear!

Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Bob,

I have used 'Woolite' detergent (Sainsburys & Tesco's used to stock this) to clean my leather & wool-felt Gehmann shooting glove.

I used the soak method, and that worked very well.

There are some posts on the Interweb about using Woolite for washing leather jackets (motor-cycle etc.), including the washing machine.

Have fun & a good weekend

regards

Russ
    Thanks Russ,

I will see if our local supermarkets stock this and if they do I will get some added to next weeks shopping list!

Stay safe,

Bob.