Thread: Questions on HW30S for Gunsmiths

Questions on HW30S for Gunsmiths

I have an HW30S. It is the most enjoyable gun to shoot that I own. I’ve been shooting paper targets, 6-10m standing unsupported with it recently. Yesterday I thought I’d try the HW110 and the Mk4is - they are so heavy compared to the HW30S that I was shite. That got me thinking - would a bullpup, with the weight further back be any better? The more interesting thought though, can I lighten the HW30S, while not moving the centre of gravity forward? The obvious (in my mind) is to cut 3” or so off the barrel, has anyone done this? If no one’s done it, what is the opinion of the gunsmiths on the forum? Or maybe add some weight to the butt (not weight saving, but moving the CoG)? Would either of these changes reduce muzzle stability though?

Not so much a cure for your situation but I find that the K version of the HW30s shoots better, (for me), when unsupported than the standard length version does.

I think that the weight loss on the shorter barrel is made up by the the muzzle weight but the c of g is moved back somewhat, and the muzzle weight helps with any flip.

If you are talking mainly about free standing unsupported target shooting then you are thinking the wrong way. It is all down to mass and inertia. The heavier the rifle the more input from you it has to have to move, therefore it is steadier than a light rifle which a slight gust of wind or your own bodies natural movement will alter the point of aim.

Neil
    Current airguns:- Steyr LG110: Steyr LP10: Air Arms HFT500: Weihrauch97 fully customised.

I agree with zephyr. I have tried both versions and bought the k. Found the shorter barrel much better balanced for off hand shooting.
    Air Arms HFT 500. HW100 FSB. HW99 (.22) HW99 (.177) HW30 (.177) HW97K (.177) Gamo GX40 (.22)

Hi Zephyr.

As you know, I've been tweaking my HW30S for a while now and have come to the conclusion that it needs weight adding to it to both dampen recoil and keep it on target more steadily. I talked with a knowledgeable chap on another forum about this and it's relatively easy to add weight at the rear by drilling down into the stock from the butt pad end and packing lots of used pellets inside but the opinion was that this upset the balance of the gun.

There's not a lot of meat up front on the stock to allow for compensation in a similar style so, short of machining up barrel weights or a heavy shroud, there's not a lot of neat solutions. The chap I spoke to got round this by using lead stick-on car wheel balancing weights stuck to the stock - not aesthetically pleasing but simple, cheap, practical and effective.

Like most things, it's all about striking the right balance (sorry.) The beauty of the '30S is it's light weight which means you can plink for ages with it but once you really concentrate on standing 10m groups with it, the absence of weight starts to count against it in my opinion.

Of course, if Weihrauch would take a gamble and make a heavier, more target orientated stock then that would make life much easier. I think there'd be a demand for a simple, inexpensive 10m starter rifle like the target variants of the old HW55 but based on the HW30S action.

Go on, HW - grow a pair and test the waters with a limited run of such a gun. I bet they'd fly off the shelves.
    PS Just make sure they don't gall first.
    Ignoring is bliss.

Are you asking for a answer from a self taught unqualified supposed gun smith or a fully qualified and trained gun smith ?.

Quote Originally Posted by sandyman1963 View Post
    Are you asking for a answer from a self taught unqualified supposed gun smith or a fully qualified and trained gun smith ?.
    Per his post header, probably the latter. My guess is that he may mull over answers and/or suggestions from shooters who have specific real world experience with both the model in question and also the use to which it is being put.

Quote Originally Posted by Portzy View Post
    Per his post header, probably the latter. My guess is that he may mull over answers and/or suggestions from shooters who have specific real world experience with both the model in question and also the use to which it is being put.

Good luck then there are not many of them about I am afraid.

Very interesting responses, with juxtaposed ideas.

It seems moving the CoG back was met with general agreement. Shortening (or shorter) barrel had support, although muzzle instability was a concern. And adding more weight was a common recommendation.

This argument about more weight - it is what initiated my ponderings. I couldn’t stabilise on target with the HW110 and Mk4is due to their weight; like everything, there is an optimum. Maybe ‘Goldielocks’, for me, is a slightly heavier HW30S everywhere, but with the CoG a little further back towards the butt.

I think I need another barrel to have modified

Hmmm, all this may ruin a very enjoyable gun. Maybe I’m just near the limit of my ability - which no amount of gun mods can improve.

Olympic and 10 metre rifles weigh around 12 pounds bare and can have extra weight added if required up to a certain limit (which I have forgotten.)

Neil
    Current airguns:- Steyr LG110: Steyr LP10: Air Arms HFT500: Weihrauch97 fully customised.

Quote Originally Posted by u.k.neil View Post
    Olympic and 10 metre rifles weigh around 12 pounds bare and can have extra weight added if required up to a certain limit (which I have forgotten.)

Neil
    Wikipedia says " maximum weight of 5.5 kg (12.13 lb)"

However, better to get an official figure from the sport intl controlling body! ISSF seems to agree!

atvb
    David
    May today be the best day of your life and all your tomorrows even better!!