Thread: Frank Clarke/ Webley MK1

Frank Clarke/ Webley MK1

Just visited St Margarets Church at Great Bar to see the grave of Frank Clarke. Is it correct that he may have been involved in the development of the Webley MK1 pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by Stock Detective View Post
    Just visited St Margarets Church at Great Bar to see the grave of Frank Clarke. Is it correct that he may have been involved in the development of the Webley MK1 pistol?
    He certainly was to the extent that Webley paid him royalties in recognition of his contribution. Apart from the more elegant cocking solution used on the Webley, you can clearly see the family resemblance on Frank Clarke's Series 7 Titan pistol.

Brian

Whilst I was there, there was a chap strimming the grass, he told me around 2 years ago he was asked to re-set the stone upright as it was flat and overgrown. I explained as much as I knew who Frank Clarke was.

Thank you for visiting the site to pay respects to Frank. The interest in Franks house in Skip Lane and resting place in St Margarets was prompted by John Atkins articles. Great to read of the interest in Franks life and work.

I did take a photo but I don't know how to post photos on here.

The plunger type cocking rod used on Frank Clarke's 7th series Titan also allowed for a grip safety similar in concept to the Colt 1911 ACP Service pistol which was a typically ingenious addition.
    Brian