Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airgun silencers

Airgun silencers

A while back i bought a airgun silencer made by Weihrauch which was the best silencer i ever had, to my supprise to find out the secret of why it was quiet it had a hair curler inside as the baffle, wrapped in a thin matting. Do they still do them and have all the other companies followed this design, what do you think is the best.

Most use either hair curler styles or felt and baffles and strangely nod the same job. Over the years I have built up a collection of all the supposedly amazing best ones and can say they are no bet or are indeed worse that the HW one. It’s all hype and I am surprised by how people get sucked in by it. I believe the latest must haves is the DonyFl ones that the Americans are gushing over. I was reading some thing on line the other day that one owner was almost calling Donny a god because he threw in a free mask and some stickers for him personally big fail its just a different variation of what normally goes in the box and guess what they were not free it would have been built into the cost.

So when the Donny fever started I bought two and as normaly shot them against all of the main stream jobs in .22 and. .177 and the verdict was as usual no better than the bog standard HW one money waisted as usual.

The only time that you will ever see a difference between silencers is on powder burners in HPA it’s just not worth it. Others may disagree with me especially the bought and paid for reviewers but hey I pay for mine so can happily say it how I find it.

HW silencers still rule after all these years.

HW Silencers

Even fitted to the springers these are very good at what they do. Not tried the new versions but I dare say will just be as effective. Mach 1.5

Check out the comparison tests on Youtube AAR on air did a very good one.

Bang (or not) for buck, HW is still one of the best, but some mods work better on some rifles than others, having the bore as tight to the cal as possible also helps.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Years ago I had a Daystate MK3 with a HW silencer on it.

The rifle was so quiet the hammer strike was louder than the rifle report.
    Master Debater

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    The English made BSA VC silencer is like the HW but when tested with a meter is a bit quiter , only difference is plastic washers instead of metal and the VC choke.

An easy way to compare effectiveness of a silencer is to stick the barrel end over the speaker on your phone and listen to the sound reduction when playing music.

The HW silencer is pretty good.

BB

Always rated HW. Looks like they recently brought out a new design, wonder if they changed the internals?

I think it would be good if they put a 1/2" UNF thread in the end of the unthreaded barrel adaptor. It would be a really solid connection if you could screw the silencer on then lock it on with the screws.

I like to buy the bits and experiment myself....made some.really quiet ones

Born Again is offline Owns three Roy orbison albums
    Quote Originally Posted by markh29 View Post
    I like to buy the bits and experiment myself....made some.really quiet ones
    Me too. For anyone wanting to DIY one themselves, there are some very useful aluminium tubes in old laser printer toner cartridges.

I did a not too scientific test a few years ago with 3 rifles and my small assortment of moderators; I found that while overall the HW was best they all performed differently on each rifle.

Seen a fair few designs over the years including single chambers ones that report outstanding results. Given the lack of explosive shockwave in air weapons the needs for a huge sequence of traditional baffles is much reduces and the focus is on containing and deadening as much of the escaping air as possible -- to that end felt lined tubes stop the wave of air striking the outside of the moderator casing unchecked and so for the space provide a much for efficient dampening than the many baffles required to break up and soften the gasses from a cartridge.

If i had the kit to build one if love to try a design based on my DeLisle carbine, massive initial expansion chamber with a liner then a sequence of split baffles near the end that creates a cyclone effect which both reduces the initial blast and disrupts the gasses leaving the moderator.

DeLisle carbine nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Solvo View Post
    I did a not too scientific test a few years ago with 3 rifles and my small assortment of moderators; I found that while overall the HW was best they all performed differently on each rifle.

Seen a fair few designs over the years including single chambers ones that report outstanding results. Given the lack of explosive shockwave in air weapons the needs for a huge sequence of traditional baffles is much reduces and the focus is on containing and deadening as much of the escaping air as possible -- to that end felt lined tubes stop the wave of air striking the outside of the moderator casing unchecked and so for the space provide a much for efficient dampening than the many baffles required to break up and soften the gasses from a cartridge.

If i had the kit to build one if love to try a design based on my DeLisle carbine, massive initial expansion chamber with a liner then a sequence of split baffles near the end that creates a cyclone effect which both reduces the initial blast and disrupts the gasses leaving the moderator.
    I had a custom made moderator that I blew apart by being stupid, the innards look to have been 3d printed, I can see how it works by forcing the air backwards, I'd love to get that recreated...it was super quiet.

I tend to agree that Weihrauch moderators take some beating but it's nice to try something a bit different occasionally.
    I'm pleased with the Donnyfl "Tatsu" I put on my FX T12. Ticks a few boxes. Nice and light, quietens things down a lot and looks the part.