Thread: Webley Xocet (brum made) barrel shortening?

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35

Webley Xocet (brum made) barrel shortening?

Hi all,

Does anyone know please, can a Brum made Webley Xocet barrel be shortened without losing accuracy?

Cheers

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

....well they made two,a full size and a shortened carbine,ive got both
    mind you the shorter one is a lot harder to cock.

I believe Webley barrels are un-choked. I could be mistaken.

Cheers
    Daryl

The Webley barrels I have pushed pellets through have felt unchoked. Shortening will probably not affect the accuracy potential.

BUT... Shortening a springer barrel often makes the gun harder to shoot accurately for two reasons:
    A long barrel is often easier to keep steady on target, and that weight up front helps tame the recoil, so any mistakes done during firing will cause bigger errors on target.

My Xocet has a shorter barrel than most of the Vulcans (Vulcans are an older version of the same powerplant), and this is probably the reason why it is more difficult to shoot well than the Vulcans.
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    The Webley barrels I have pushed pellets through have felt unchoked. Shortening will probably not affect the accuracy potential.

BUT... Shortening a springer barrel often makes the gun harder to shoot accurately for two reasons:
    A long barrel is often easier to keep steady on target, and that weight up front helps tame the recoil, so any mistakes done during firing will cause bigger errors on target.

My Xocet has a shorter barrel than most of the Vulcans (Vulcans are an older version of the same powerplant), and this is probably the reason why it is more difficult to shoot well than the Vulcans.
    Well I want to put a barrel shroud/silencer on one, like what was fitted to the Longbow Sidewinders and as it seems near on impossible nowadays to find a Longbow, then my thinking is to find one of the Xocet XS models with the silencers fitted that had the breech blocks without the rear sight holes (like what is fitted to the Longbows), the loss of barrel will be compensated by the barrel shroud and silencer inserts, so should help with the balance of things.

Thanks for your input so far.

Pete
    Last edited by look no hands; 09-05-2021 at 08:08 AM.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Webley

Don't go below 12.5 inch if you do go down that route. Webley Barrels are unchoked on the xocet and stingray. Note the rounded breech block on the longbow will not fit it's little brothers. But webley did do a rounded breech block for the stringray deluxe but find one!!! Mach 1.5

Yep, they most certainly can buddy, I shortened mine from 17.75" to 12.75" without issue, it's all in the finish of the crown buddy...
    .22 S410...
    .22 Webley Xocet...
    .22 HW95k...

I have an Xocet “carbine” that was originally a rifle.

It’s fine.

Most barrel chops turn out fine if done well.

Excellent stuff, thanks for your input chaps.

I wonder if Custom stocks will still make me a stock to fit, probably not as it's not an HW.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Hi all,

Does anyone know please, can a Brum made Webley Xocet barrel be shortened without losing accuracy?

Cheers

Pete
    Yes, but imo as they are a fair cocking effort .
    I like the carbine length one with a mod on too - still pointy / light

Also - as time passes - un messed with ones will have more value than ones with work done - just sayin
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34