Thread: Primers?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by mag44uk View Post
    S&B primers are fine. They use them in their own ammo - they all go bang!

I was told "always cci" but have used others when I couldn't get them. Last time I got Geco, €7.10 for 250 small pistol primers. Every single one went bang! I have just order another four boxes.
    Last edited by tinbum; 10-05-2021 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Typo

I usually buy the cheapest I can find. 30quid a thousand is not uncommon. I don’t care what make they are, they all seem to work. The only time I wouldn’t mix them is if I was loading precision rifle ammo for comp. The different ignition characteristics could open out your groups.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

The only primers I've ever had problems with were Remington... I had quite a few large rifle primers that didn't go bang.

I've used Remington primers on and off for many years and never had a problem, so I don't know if I just had one bad batch.

Des, I wish I knew where you got your £30 /1k from... last box of CCI small rifle I bought were £45..!!

When I bought the Muroms from Spud, I think they were £30 or £35...and that was the cheapest I'd seen primers for a long time..

Primers

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    I usually buy the cheapest I can find. 30quid a thousand is not uncommon. I don’t care what make they are, they all seem to work. The only time I wouldn’t mix them is if I was loading precision rifle ammo for comp. The different ignition characteristics could open out your groups.
    I too wonder where you get primers at £30- /1000

For many years I've never seen any at near that price, if it's not a secret? what site etc.
    6.5 55 SWEDE.223 HOWA VARMINT NIKON 8X32X50 -.22LR CZ STYLE-16" .17 HMR CZ AMERICAN-16" SIMMONS AETEC-12G BERETTA A.302,AYA NO 4,BAIKAL O&U

I've just started using S+B just as good as any other that I've used, And i use a lot they are well made and well package no problems putting them in the brass or misfires i paid £30 per1000 small pistol and
    £35 for large pistol.

I did a job lot at the gun show two years ago. s&b. All the primers from the good old US of A have gone to silly prices. I just did a quick google and found s&b at Shootingsports online at £30 a thou.
    Last edited by DesG; 11-05-2021 at 06:49 AM.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Yes that were i got them from just down the road too the worst I've used were Magtec lots of duffers, and the one lot the cups were so thick you had to hit a few times before they'd go off and tight to prime the cases, but having said it might have just been a bad lot I've used a lot of them in the past with no problems, haven't tried S+B rifle primers yet but at that price worth a go when i need some.i think the last cci that i used were nearly £5 per 100

Quote Originally Posted by WOLVES View Post
    ...the worst I've used were Magtec lots of duffers, and the one lot the cups were so thick you had to hit a few times before they'd go off and tight to prime the cases, but having said it might have just been a bad lot I've used a lot of them in the past with no problems, ...
    This is strange, perhaps as you say a bad batch.
    I've loaded loads, many thousands, of 223 with them and never had an issue with light strikes or fail to fire, even won several NRA CSR matches with them. I have loaded a couple hundred 44mag also with no problems but here the sample is much smaller.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

Primers

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    I did a job lot at the gun show two years ago. s&b. All the primers from the good old US of A have gone to silly prices. I just did a quick google and found s&b at Shootingsports online at £30 a thou.
    Well googled DesG, you were on the ball there, my usual supplier has no CCI.
    6.5 55 SWEDE.223 HOWA VARMINT NIKON 8X32X50 -.22LR CZ STYLE-16" .17 HMR CZ AMERICAN-16" SIMMONS AETEC-12G BERETTA A.302,AYA NO 4,BAIKAL O&U

I’ve just put an ad up in the For Sale section which includes some primers if anyone is interested.

Darlington. The Land of the Prince Bishops Durham

HK Primers

Anyone tried any of the HK primers. Specially made for HK. Somewhat cheaper than any of the other makes currently available.

Al
    AlBur
    Always Remember "Utopia Does NOT Exist"

Quote Originally Posted by AlBur View Post
    Anyone tried any of the HK primers. Specially made for HK. Somewhat cheaper than any of the other makes currently available.

Al
    The large pistol ones are made in Bosnia and Herzegovina and seem to be OK, I've only tried 100 so far but no issues just yet. I had the small pistol and both rifle sizes but gave them to a club member to try. Some were made in B+H and some in another eastern european country.
    It is advised to use Large Rifle primers in a machine primer rather than with a hand primer, not sure why but reports of hard insertion have circulated.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

Primers

Just for interest I tried my Murom KVB 223 competition primers yesterday, 30 rounds fired, no problems at all.

I'm glad about that as I purchased 1000 of them!