Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primers?

Primers?

I cannot get any CCI primers anywhere, but have found a source for MUROM and also S & B.

I have never used any of these.

Any advantages/disadvantages that I should know of with using either?
    Will be reloading for a 223, 357 and a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser.
    6.5 55 SWEDE.223 HOWA VARMINT NIKON 8X32X50 -.22LR CZ STYLE-16" .17 HMR CZ AMERICAN-16" SIMMONS AETEC-12G BERETTA A.302,AYA NO 4,BAIKAL O&U

You wont notice any difference.
    I have used them all over the years.
    Murom came out top in a comparison test in the US several years ago.
    I have been told there wont be any more Murom primers in the UK so buy all you can get.

I think they are Russian and are meant to work better in extreme cold than American primers.

I've used Murom primers in .223 and they're great!!... wish I could get more but no-one around here sells them...

MagTech primers are pretty good too, never had an issue with the ones I've used.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

Primers

Thanks for all replies, I'll try some of the Russians.

How about S & B ? I've never been too impressed with their 357 cases, but how about their primers?
    6.5 55 SWEDE.223 HOWA VARMINT NIKON 8X32X50 -.22LR CZ STYLE-16" .17 HMR CZ AMERICAN-16" SIMMONS AETEC-12G BERETTA A.302,AYA NO 4,BAIKAL O&U

S&B primers are good. No problems so far.

I'm not sure if they are up to bench rest standards but they always go bang.

S&B primers are fine. They use them in their own ammo - they all go bang!

The Sportsman in Newport have just had some CCI’s delivered.
    Cheers
    Dave
    People said smile things could get worse, so I smiled and they did!

I've just managed to get load of CCI primers from Kranks, pistol & rifle, large & small.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by mag44uk View Post
    S&B primers are fine. They use them in their own ammo - they all go bang!

I was told "always cci" but have used others when I couldn't get them. Last time I got Geco, €7.10 for 250 small pistol primers. Every single one went bang! I have just order another four boxes.
    Last edited by tinbum; 10-05-2021 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Typo

I usually buy the cheapest I can find. 30quid a thousand is not uncommon. I don’t care what make they are, they all seem to work. The only time I wouldn’t mix them is if I was loading precision rifle ammo for comp. The different ignition characteristics could open out your groups.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

The only primers I've ever had problems with were Remington... I had quite a few large rifle primers that didn't go bang.

I've used Remington primers on and off for many years and never had a problem, so I don't know if I just had one bad batch.

Des, I wish I knew where you got your £30 /1k from... last box of CCI small rifle I bought were £45..!!

When I bought the Muroms from Spud, I think they were £30 or £35...and that was the cheapest I'd seen primers for a long time..

Primers

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    I usually buy the cheapest I can find. 30quid a thousand is not uncommon. I don’t care what make they are, they all seem to work. The only time I wouldn’t mix them is if I was loading precision rifle ammo for comp. The different ignition characteristics could open out your groups.
    I too wonder where you get primers at £30- /1000

For many years I've never seen any at near that price, if it's not a secret? what site etc.

I've just started using S+B just as good as any other that I've used, And i use a lot they are well made and well package no problems putting them in the brass or misfires i paid £30 per1000 small pistol and
    £35 for large pistol.