Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primers?

I did a job lot at the gun show two years ago. s&b. All the primers from the good old US of A have gone to silly prices. I just did a quick google and found s&b at Shootingsports online at £30 a thou.
    Last edited by DesG; 11-05-2021 at 06:49 AM.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Yes that were i got them from just down the road too the worst I've used were Magtec lots of duffers, and the one lot the cups were so thick you had to hit a few times before they'd go off and tight to prime the cases, but having said it might have just been a bad lot I've used a lot of them in the past with no problems, haven't tried S+B rifle primers yet but at that price worth a go when i need some.i think the last cci that i used were nearly £5 per 100

Primers

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    I did a job lot at the gun show two years ago. s&b. All the primers from the good old US of A have gone to silly prices. I just did a quick google and found s&b at Shootingsports online at £30 a thou.
    Well googled DesG, you were on the ball there, my usual supplier has no CCI.
    6.5 55 SWEDE.223 HOWA VARMINT NIKON 8X32X50 -.22LR CZ STYLE-16" .17 HMR CZ AMERICAN-16" SIMMONS AETEC-12G BERETTA A.302,AYA NO 4,BAIKAL O&U

Quote Originally Posted by CROWMAN View Post
    I cannot get any CCI primers anywhere, but have found a source for MUROM and also S & B.

I have never used any of these.

Any advantages/disadvantages that I should know of with using either?
    Will be reloading for a 223, 357 and a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser.
    Avoid the small rifle murom, they can be soft KVB7 LR are excellent though, I'd have no issue using these, no experience on the S&B but have heard good things.

I would switch as this is a taste of things to come for US manufactured stuff, speaking to when of the head guys at Grafs about .280 brass they are looking at 2 years before some stuff gets in stock and when anything lands it sells almost instantly.

Stick to European kit and hope the yanks don't cotton on to it.

PS if changing primer work up your loads again
    Thanks for looking

HPS in Gloucester stock the Muroms. As a previous poster said, the large rifle are very good, the small rifle magnums can have difficulty igniting certain powders in the larger cases with small primer pockets. 6BR, no issues with any combination. 6 x 47, SRM Muroms & N560, hangfires every time, CC1450's cured that. Yet with N550, a much smaller granular powder than N560 they were fine. I just think the Muroms of any persuasion are very mild, it just doesn't seem to be as big of an issue with the larger primers however.

Primers are selling for crazy money in the states at the minute. A friend was beaten on a gun auction site when a thousand small rifle CCI went for $120!

Quote Originally Posted by simgre View Post
    Primers are selling for crazy money in the states at the minute. A friend was beaten on a gun auction site when a thousand small rifle CCI went for $120!
    Kranks still have them in stock at about £50/1000
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Kranks are bringing in own brand:

https://www.henrykrank.com/blog/prim...k-primers.html

Possibly made by Prvi.

I’ve just put an ad up in the For Sale section which includes some primers if anyone is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by 223AI View Post
    Avoid the small rifle murom, they can be soft KVB7 LR are excellent though, I'd have no issue using these, no experience on the S&B but have heard good things.

I would switch as this is a taste of things to come for US manufactured stuff, speaking to when of the head guys at Grafs about .280 brass they are looking at 2 years before some stuff gets in stock and when anything lands it sells almost instantly.

PS if changing primer work up your loads again
    I have used the S&B primers, absolutely fine, Muron LR OK, SR I had to back off my loads a grain as I was getting the odd pierced primer, other than that they work fine.
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

I use MagTech 7.5 exclusively in .223 shooting but on Sunday had to rescue a mate who's Muroms wouldn't ignite. Won't say what he said about them....

I've used over 10k MagTechs and not had one misfire.

Primers

I'm getting very wary of loading up my 223 with my recently bought Murom primers.

I think it will only be about 10 rounds I load up and see how they go?
    My powder weight is at the lower end of the recommended weight, so hopefully all will be well.
    6.5 55 SWEDE.223 HOWA VARMINT NIKON 8X32X50 -.22LR CZ STYLE-16" .17 HMR CZ AMERICAN-16" SIMMONS AETEC-12G BERETTA A.302,AYA NO 4,BAIKAL O&U

Quote Originally Posted by CROWMAN View Post
    I'm getting very wary of loading up my 223 with my recently bought Murom primers.

I think it will only be about 10 rounds I load up and see how they go?
    My powder weight is at the lower end of the recommended weight, so hopefully all will be well.
    I was up at the upper end before I had any problems, and they are still buzzing along with the load reduced a touch
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

I used Murom KVB223 primers in Lapua brass without issue.
    Over the years I have used CCI/Federal/Gynex/Winchester/Remington/Magtech/Fiocchi and Murom in a large amount of varied cartridges.
    Cant say I recall problems with any.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by 223AI View Post
    We just need to hope that the European manufacturers don't cotton on to the fact that if they export their output to the US, they can virtually name their own price. Some stuff is starting to reappear on the US market, but primers are still like rocking horse 5h17, and going for silly money.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.